Clipping Herefords...

Help Support Steer Planet:

LindseysMaine_Angus

So, I am trying to convince an exhibitor I work with to let me slick their hereford steer...But, her dad wants this calf to grow as much hair like the froo froo steers in a cross bred shows...mind you this calf has not put on much hair since I clipped him in December: Head, tail, neck, etc. But not the whole body. This calf's hair is not trained and it is so tight and curly. IMO herefords look better slick...I could even blend the hair on the legs and belly...but body hair wise...he would look better slick. Our fair isnt until end of July...so he could get some hair back...
what would you guys do?

rrblack78

Maybe if you slicked him now then really worked the hair as it grows back in it would look more like what your exhibitor wants by the end of July?

Dozer45

I have seen some very nice fluffy Herefords, that being said they take A LOOOOTTTT of work to get that curl out. If he is not groomed every day he will be curly and scruffy looking. It comes down to the owners but some calves just look better slick and some look better fluffy, if hes better slick then I say slick him.

simba

What I do with my Herefords is shear out his body at least 2 months before but leave the legs, belly and tailhead. I work the hair daily to train it and then clip them and blend the legs, belly and tailhead right before the show. That routine will get the hair looking fresh but still well trained.

paj315

We slick our Herefords in early March all the way down to the knees but leave the belly hair just kind of even it up a little. After that we wash once a week and rinse the other 6 days. After rinsing we spray on double dip mixed with vinegar and olive oil hair conditioner . Then brush it in and dry. When the hair is real short we just put them in front of the fans but when the hair starts growing we blow dry . We tried shedding combs on 2 last year and slicked the other 2 to see how it worked. The calves we slicked had much better hair than the other 2 .