Clipping the neck

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

Wow, most people dont know how to do the legs for a while.  Congrats!!  (clapping)  It is a great skill to be able to clip/fit a good set of legs.  Buy a 5/8 in. blade from Sullivans to fit your clippers.  Peel the neck with these blades.  It will leave the perfect length on the neck.  To make it really easy, I ususally try this a few weeks before the show.  Peel the neck back to the shoulders with that 5/8 in. blade.  Then block that line.  Allow a few weeks of growth just in case you make a big boo boo.  Closer to your show you can go over this again to freshen it up.  Just like any type pf clipping, it is always best to try, try, try at home long before a show so that you can perfect your technique and let the bad parts grow back.  Good Luck (thumbsup).

stumpy

The easiest way I can describe it is to leave the hair long in the low spots and take it close in the high spots. Then blend it all together. It sounds to simple, but it works. However it is not easy. Good luck and just keep trying.

farmboy

btw , i did his topline tonight with out a chute,gotta love em dead broke like that  ;)

tommorow im gonna try this neck advice thank you stumpy and bawndoh

showgirl2010

I use a medium blending and peel the head and neck and clean the ears except for the hairs hanging down in front.  Take it to the shoulders and slightly curve it around the elbow, i guess, and to blend it take the t-84 blade and flip the clippers over and take 2 strips side by side that way until its blended. 

JAMIE

ShowmanQ

For calves with longer thinner type hair I like to back drag the neck with my andis and a pair of medium blades before i use the blocking blades to finish. Makes it much easier to see what you are doing when you got the longer "stragglers" off there first. Practice at home first. I will pass on some great knowledge a great family friend of ours ,who happens to be a retired pro fitter, gave me when I first started clipping, I was too afriad to touch a set of clippers and after hearing his advice I clip all of our own calves...here goes...

"Nothing to be afraid of, it is only hair....the best way to learn is to srew it up, not very comforting, but at least you will know how not to do it next time"

Not exactly what i wanted to hear at the time, but as I do more clipping for myself and others, I have grown to realize how very true that is!!!
GOOD LUCK <party>

bcosu

use some medium blades to mark off what you want to clip. clip it close on the crest and close at the top of the shoulder. then connect the shoulder to the crest to the poll in one line. then for the side of the neck, start at the top of the shoulder and work your way forward, then move down and repeat. show side you need to use your left hand! isn't it great how that works out especially if you are right handed.

OH Breeder

I think in my opinion alot depends on your calf. We have onecalf that is freak fronted and long necked. I leave the hair a bit longer and blend into the shoulder and the top of the neck. We have a shorter necked calf, I clip that a little more extreme and tight. Still work to blend into the shoulder but take it tighter.
Have you ever watched the Steirwalt video. He draws an imaginary line from the top of the head to the top of the shoulder and trims along that line.I think shoulders and necks are hard. Of course leave plenty of time before the show for nicks etc.
I use Andis large clippers for heads. They are WONDERFUL. Quiet and much nicer than the osters. The Andis with a beef head are so quiet and clip so clean. I went on Ebay and watched an auction. Usually they run 385-400, but Igot mine for235 plus shipping. New in a box. Everyone that uses them loves them. If you have a calf that is head shy they are so much better.

showgirl2010

We used to use the big andis clippers but they aren't working too well so we started to use the 2 speeds.  And we never use the blocking blades except for the tail switch, just because of the fact that it peels too much hair off and they look like a skinned rat.  (clapping)  So that is the reason for the medium blending blade.

Jamie