clone question

Help Support Steer Planet:

neocattleman

I know that clones are genetically the same and should produce the same but I have heard that some clone bulls produce differently than others is this true? if so are there certain monopoly and heat wave clones that are better than others?

shortyjock89

Some will have better semen quality but I doby you'd be able to pick out the difference of clone sired calves in a lineup.

DSC

People have told me that Monopoly 2 and 4 are the best clones. Is there any truth to that I do not really know. I saw both 4 and 5 at stud last year and they were identical.

jchandler16

By what standards are people calling one better than the other. Genetically they are identical and have the same chance of passing the "good genes" onto their offspring. Semen quality is the only way they would vary and they have to meet required values on motility and morphology to be collected and stored. At least if your buying from a reputable distributor. So are people saying one clone is better than the other because they get conceptions with one clone and not the other? And if thats the case how do they know it was bad semen and not bad handling procedures or that they missed the cycle? My personal opinion is as a genetic parent no one clone is better than the other.

aj

If you have a clone in a pedigree of a beef animal.........does that make them a gmo deal?

justintime

A few years ago, I saw several of the Heatwave clones at Hawkeye Breeders at Adel, IA. I think there was 4 of them there when I was there on that occasion. I guess what I wondered about was that the only real resemblance I saw between them was that they were black. Other than that, there was quite a bit of difference in their appearance. I have often wondered if they all bred very similar to each other as I would not expect them to, just from their physical appearance.

whitecow

aj said:
If you have a clone in a pedigree of a beef animal.........does that make them a gmo deal?

No. No genes were modified. In fact, the chromosomal genes are an exact copy of another animal with no changes other that the same kind of spontaneous mutations that happen to every animal throughout its life.

CRS

The way it was described to me is that their genotype will be identical, so it will breed the same; however, there may be some differences in phenotype (appearance).  If you look at all of the MAB clones, they all look similar, but there are some variations in their appearance; however all will produce the same genotype as the original bull.  Not sure how close they are to producing clones from just semen, now it takes complete genetic material.  I know there are a few bulls that semen exists on, but there is no genetic material and a clone can not be produced, Who da Man is a perfect example. 

neocattleman

thank you all for the responses. you confirmed my thoughts that they should breed the same since they are genetically the same. I just found it curious and had to ask after I heard they bred differently.