Cloning Q's

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

My sister is writing a speech on cloning. Could you guys give me any info you find helpful, advantages/disadvantages, opinions, impact on the cattle industry, how many heatwaves are there, are there any other famous clones. We are of course doing research too but I like the ability to debate and give point of view on here because a lot of what is said/asked translates to what a judge could ask.

knabe

search using the word methylation on this web site .  you could gather information from people who spread fear (not conservatives) like jeremy rifkin i think is his name who is against everything and extremely well funded

aj

Why don't they clone 6807 and spread the wealth. If there ever was a bull that needed cloned why wouldn't it be him?

Waukaru

renegade said:
My sister is writing a speech on cloning. Could you guys give me any info you find helpful, advantages/disadvantages, opinions, impact on the cattle industry, how many heatwaves are there, are there any other famous clones. We are of course doing research too but I like the ability to debate and give point of view on here because a lot of what is said/asked translates to what a judge could ask.

I do not think cloning is a viable tool for the beef industry, no matter how "cheap" the technology gets.  Consumer demands will always change.  History has made it very clear that the beef consumer has a dynamic palate.  Cloning does not make the next generation better, only multiplies the same.  If an animal is so superior, we need to blend those genetics into the cowherd. We do not want a cowherd (USA cowherd) that does not have diversity.  This will make change, and thus progress ( I hope) slower. 

Doc

Waukaru said:
I do not think cloning is a viable tool for the beef industry, no matter how "cheap" the technology gets.  Consumer demands will always change.  History has made it very clear that the beef consumer has a dynamic palate.  Cloning does not make the next generation better, only multiplies the same.  If an animal is so superior, we need to blend those genetics into the cowherd. We do not want a cowherd (USA cowherd) that does not have diversity.  This will make change, and thus progress ( I hope) slower. 

(welcome) Toby!!!  Doc aka Mike Davis

knabe

i approve of cloning for the following reason.  say ice pick had been PHAF.  he had an accident and died.  a sample was taken, and he was cloned.  it is an insurance policy on animals that have value for whatever reason and is a form of insurance in case they die.  who woudn't want a clone of novino or some of the imported french cows who for a variety of reasons including technology not being around yet to deal with cystic ovaries etc and the cow was not able to be flushed or breed.  if cloning is so bad, we should outlaw twins who divide in the womb.

perhaps we should just outlaw fertility treatment in people as this only serves to weaken the population by circumventing nature.  i guess the political definition of cloning is letting one party take over the schools, ie the teachers union, liberals, and a higher and higer percentage of women leading to a decided lack of diversity in schools at all levels.

simtal

To emphasize what knabe said Make sure you include that clones have basically been in the food chain for many years.  What do you think identical twins are?  I'd say the biggest disadvantage of clones is narrowing the gene pool that breeders have.  I'd also say that cloning has far more greater impact in dairy than beef.