Close but not close enough

Help Support Steer Planet:

Aussie

Entered this steer in a carcase competition. Most of this will not translate to US grading but I will put it up any way.
The steer was straight angus
15 months old
dressed at 341kg  
eye muscle area of 98 square cm
10 mm of fat
Marble score 4 (Scores 0 to 9 ) (9 would be 500 day Wagyu)
93.6 Points out of 100 3 points ahead of the next animal
The problem was the comp top weight was 340kg :mad: :'(

Attachments

• P10205241.jpg
    P10205241.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 554

thunderdownunder

Aussie said:
Entered this steer in a carcase competition. Most of this will not translate to US grading but I will put it up any way.
15 months old
dressed at 341kg  
eye muscle area of 98 square cm
10 mm of fat

Good work! Don't you hate those specs?! I was talking to one of the Cargill blokes a while back and he said it was a waste of time having domestic and export, because it all got split into different areas anyway.

Okotoks

ouch, now that would be totally frustrating, the best carcass but 1 kg over! :mad: ???

ploughshare

Aussie said:
15 months old
dressed at 341kg  = 751.77 lbs.
eye muscle area of 98 square cm = 15.19 sq. inches
10 mm of fat = 0.393 inches

Very nice carcass indeed.  At least you know that your program is working.

aj

I always wondered why the showsteers that are square over the hip and thick in the lowere quarter don't translate to great carcasses. Seems like to me the square over the top is more of a skeletal and not carcass. Why do the "pencil butted' cattle always WIN the carcass shows? Where is Hunsley when you need him?

knabe

with the same genetics to marble but with more meat present, there can't be the same level of marbling.

cunia has some of the lowest marbling epds.

Okotoks

knabe said:
with the same genetics to marble but with more meat present, there can't be the same level of marbling.

cunia has some of the lowest marbling epds.
So is Cunia popular in the Maine Anjou breed? I know years ago the Maine full bloods had some calving issues and some breeders selected for better calving ease and got it. Unfortunately selling bulls was difficult because of the earlier reputation. So the Shorthorn breed has lots of animals that are really more Maine than Shorthorn, is this where the calving ease issue is coming from,shorthorns used the wrong Maine bulls?

Sorry Aussie I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

ploughshare

the truth said:
I have seen several carcass contests won by not the best carcasses in competition... but actually by the only carcasses that qualify. 

I agree that this is a true statement. 

Telos

Glenstory said:
the truth said:
I have seen several carcass contests won by not the best carcasses in competition... but actually by the only carcasses that qualify. 

I agree that this is a true statement. 

Carcass contests, even though they deal with certain specifications, are like many other contests and is is up for interpretation.

I think it's impractical to use carcass winners as genetic markers from particular sires, unless a sire group proved to have numerous top carcass placings.

Also, environmental factors can play a key role in a desirable carcass ie., If feed primarily in a cooling room as opposed to over exercised in a warmer environment.

jbzdad

this a great thread... what jumps out at me is the 751 carcass weight... if this steer dressed out 66 percent then he started out at 1126 on the hoof... pretty small  for a finished steer... here in western Kansas you would really need to choose your genetics carefully to get a steer  finished at that weight

Aussie

]
jbzdad said:
this a great thread... what jumps out at me is the 751 carcass weight... if this steer dressed out 66 percent then he started out at 1126 on the hoof... pretty small  for a finished steer... here in western Kansas you would really need to choose your genetics carefully to get a steer  finished at that weight
Our British grass fed cattle would dress no more than 56% with our standard Carcase trim. The packer I buy for has two classes for prime cattle ylg (supermarket) 0 teeth 480 to 750lb and Restaurant 0 to 6 teeth 750 to 970 Carcase wt. With the ylg making 45 cents a lb more than restaurant. Restaurant was the beef we used to export to Japan but now niche market
http://www.capegrimbeef.com.au/

DRB

Aussie said:
]
jbzdad said:
this a great thread... what jumps out at me is the 751 carcass weight... if this steer dressed out 66 percent then he started out at 1126 on the hoof... pretty small  for a finished steer... here in western Kansas you would really need to choose your genetics carefully to get a steer  finished at that weight
Our British grass fed cattle would dress no more than 56% with our standard Carcase trim. The packer I buy for has two classes for prime cattle ylg (supermarket) 0 teeth 480 to 750lb and Restaurant 0 to 6 teeth 750 to 970 Carcase wt. With the ylg making 45 cents a lb more than restaurant. Restaurant was the beef we used to export to Japan but now niche market
http://www.capegrimbeef.com.au/

Hi Aussie, do you have an actual live weight on this guy?

Thanks!

RyanChandler

aj said:
I always wondered why the showsteers that are square over the hip and thick in the lowere quarter don't translate to great carcasses. Seems like to me the square over the top is more of a skeletal and not carcass. Why do the "pencil butted' cattle always WIN the carcass shows? Where is Hunsley when you need him?

The muscle and marble characteristics are antagonistic by nature.  Milk and marbling go hand in hand.  Look at breeds that you would consider strictly terminal in type.  Full blood Chars, Chis, Limos but these breeds carry the most red meat but for the most part are poor milkers . Now look at the breeds that are considered heavy milkers - Jersey, REAL shorthorns, REAL angus, Wagyu- they marble the best of any but generally give up live weight lbs. 

blackdiamond

-XBAR- said:
aj said:

The muscle and marble characteristics are antagonistic by nature.  Milk and marbling go hand in hand.  Look at breeds that you would consider strictly terminal in type.  Full blood Chars, Chis, Limos but these breeds carry the most red meat but for the most part are poor milkers . Now look at the breeds that are considered heavy milkers - Jersey, REAL shorthorns, REAL angus, Wagyu- they marble the best of any but generally give up live weight lbs. 

same could be said... in general dairy will out marble beef 99% of the time... and more uniformly...