close one

Help Support Steer Planet:

frostback

Well I had a close call on a calf tonight. Had a cow start calving. Things were moving along but I had to get my daughter from town. So I left and when I pulled into the yard I could see the stupid cow had the calf up against the waterer and there was a small hole too. I ran up to it on the other side of the fence( I use cation always) I grabbed its back legs that were still partly in the cow and tried to straighten him out as his head was tucked under himself. I could not get him straighted out very well so I jumped the fence and grabbed him. After I saw his eyes I thought he was gone but yelled at my kid to get the respirator I got at Denver years ago. While she ran for that I pumped his heart and set him up so if he did breath he would fill his lungs. My vet told me that getting him sitting up was the best thing so his lungs could fill up. So then sis got there with the respirator and I hooked it up and gave a few pumps, noticed that his heart was pumping but still nothing to his eyes. I just kept up putting air into him and then I got just a flicker to a eye. I took off the respirator and rubbed him some more and sure enough he had started breathing.  I let mom do her thing for a hour or so then went and got him standing, he did not show much of a interest in sucking so I just milked out mom and he drink a half a bottle so at least I know he got something. He is not out of the woods yet but seems strong and I will go back at midnight and milk her again if I have too but in the AM both will get a trip to the chute if need be. First one I brought back from the dead, I guess that respirator was a buy that paid for itself. I would recommend one if you dont have one.

LIMO

Brand name of your respirator?  More info. Thanks