Club Calf X Herf??

Help Support Steer Planet:

Just bought some Monopoly, Red Rock and Carpe Diem semen was wondering if i made a good choice to breed these three bulls to my purebred hereford cows. would anyone have chosen any different bulls then the ones i did? anybody have any pictures of Club Calf Hereford cross calves?

Thanks, Dylan.

kfacres

well, by that list of purchase.. I suspect that you planned on using prob 2 of the most popular Herf looking club calf bulls out there..

Little late asking for advice after the semen is purchased?

well yes i have purchased it already and i just chose the bulls that are known to throw the herf colors. i was just wondering what you all thought or what you would have done diffrently.

flacowman

Shortdawg, that isn't the steer that sold in perry this afternoon is it?

shortdawg

@ Kling Cattle - I'm not sure what kind of cow he's out of ? My guess would be not PB but enough to class.

@ flacowman - no, he came from OK ....was there a good one sold in Perry ?

OH Breeder

@Kling Cattle

Go to shortyisqueen's thread about 2011 babies. She has a Shorthorn x Hereford base. I would say her Hereford x Clubbie look as good as I have ever seen.

flacowman

I looked again and that calf was pure herf, awesome for a straight british calf.  Had real thickness and power to him.  I'll have to look at my sheet again for his breeding though

Ohioteerchick

We have purebred Hereford's that we also breed to club calves.

First picture is a calf (now a cow) out of a purebred Herf. Her sire was Kadabra.
Second is her now.

Third is another calf out of a different purebred Herf. Her sire was Cowboy Cut.

Attachments

• 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 206
  • l_3af9bd3b71024b84a2896f7d1ec9552e.jpg
    l_3af9bd3b71024b84a2896f7d1ec9552e.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 201

shortyisqueen

As OH Breeder said, we breed our Hereford x Shorthorn cross cows to clubby bulls to produce club calves. We have only tried a few bulls on straight Hereford cows, and it really seems to depend on what kind of Hereford you are starting with. We have some larger framed, very structurally correct females which seems to click with the downsizing of most clubby bulls.

We have not used the bulls you bought semen off of, but I did buy a bit of Monopoly this year, so we will know how it turns out about the same time next year! (Not much help there!) We have found that the bulls that worked best on the straight British cross consistently are bulls with a higher percentage Maine in them. The higher the percentage the better. It seems necessary to give them enough power and look. We have some very nice Apollo and Sunseeker calves this year, and have used Tyson with success. That being said, we've also had some nice Jigsaw's and he has quite a bit of Angus in there. If you have big cows, we used Eyes on the Money and like the calves this year. We have two steers in particular from this cross that could pass for straight Herefords and both are nice. It really all depends on the type of cows and it takes a few years to figure out what clicks. Most of our Hereford cowherd goes back to Vaquero 25C, Feltons 517, and Gerber Email. I would love to be able to use some of the bulls you mention, but we have limited access in our part of the world!

On another note, the Herefords are so maternal that our heifer calf crop is usually consistently better than our steers. I think that is benefit of having a Hereford cow as your base, but its also a detriment if you want to concentrate on steer production. Also, docility seems under-rated in the clubby world sometimes, but the Hereford seems to take the edge of the disposition of some of these bulls. It is so rewarding to sell a calf to a young member and have them report back they had an easy time halter-breaking or they had the quietest calf they've ever had...Definitely worth it!

you all have been a really big help looks like ill just have to wait till next fall to see what i get thanks again guys

Latest posts