Club King calf color

Help Support Steer Planet:

djbsimmy

Week old club king x Ruby's Throwdown bull calf. He is 3/4 simmental 1/4 Angus.  Hoping his color darkens with age. Has anyone had much experience with Club King?  This is second one we've had that's this gray/brown color

Attachments

• 2012-03-11_13-35-32_739-1.jpg
    2012-03-11_13-35-32_739-1.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 220

Angus2131

I'm not familiar with the bull but nice looking calf. Hope he does well for you!

Simmgal

Interesting..I would bet that the color would change with age. I had a Cut Above calf born today that is light brown.

Gargan

Simmgal said:
Interesting..I would bet that the color would change with age. I had a Cut Above calf born today that is light brown.

Is this ur 1st fatt butt calf ever? what are ur thoughts on the calf? blaze face?

zak

A lot of simmys have a brown tint for a while and eventually shed it. Usually around sept the darker hair will grow in.

firesweepranch

We have a Club King yearling heifer, nothing special. I plan on using her for a recip, but she is brown more than black. Brown points. Here is a pic of her taken last fall. Her dam is a preferred beef cow, black with big white blaze. Good cow, raising one of my top embryos this year  ;D

Attachments

• minty 11.jpg
    minty 11.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 446

lowann

We had a Club King calf last spring. Pretty much the same color with a mottled face. He turned black as he got older. Good grower, but nothing special. First calf heifer had him with no problem by herself.

Simmgal

Gargan said:
Simmgal said:

Is this ur 1st fatt butt calf ever? what are ur thoughts on the calf? blaze face?
The calf came unassisted out of a heifer. It's out of an all black cow and the calf doesn't have any white on it's face that I have seen from a distance. The back legs look a little strange, but I have a feeling they will straighten out with age. It's not a huge calf, but it seems to have some meat on if for a newborn.

Gargan

Simmgal said:
Gargan said:
Simmgal said:

The calf came unassisted out of a heifer. It's out of an all black cow and the calf doesn't have any white on it's face that I have seen from a distance. The back legs look a little strange, but I have a feeling they will straighten out with age. It's not a huge calf, but it seems to have some meat on if for a newborn.

1st calf hfr? and thanks for the info.

Simmgal

Gargan said:
Simmgal said:
Gargan said:
Simmgal said:

1st calf hfr? and thanks for the info.
Yes, first calf heifer! I can try to get a picture for you soon if you want!

kanshow

Looks like a  pretty normal simmi calf color to me.  We probably get as many that start out that color as start out jet black.  That calf will turn black when it sheds that baby hair.

djbsimmy

Thanks for all the replies!  He just looks pretty light when next to our jet black Goldmine babies.  Our Club Kings are definately growing faster than the Goldmines tho.