Clubby genetics for the beef industry?

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I think there are different kinds of effeciency. % calf weaned per cow weight. Effeciency in the feedlot on a high energy ration.....alot of times the big hard growing cattle do well here.  Effeciency of a cow on a sawdust and sand diet..... can they survive, breed back, and wean a decent calf in a desert or even low input enviroment. I suppose if you wean a 10,000 $ calf off of a grade 1000 $ cow that would be a decent return. Fleshing ability=waste on a carcass in the feedlot so I think a balance is needed and current economic conditions will affect profitability and the type of cattle that work the best.

garybob

OH Breeder, how do you keep 'em so clean? That's the OTHER reason I never ''showed'' much. If he were mine, He'd be stained from mud 'n manure. (lol)

GB

OH Breeder

garybob said:
OH Breeder, how do you keep 'em so clean? That's the OTHER reason I never ''showed'' much. If he were mine, He'd be stained from mud 'n manure. (lol)

GB

I am not going to take credit for that. They are let out to run during the night. YEs they get muddy. But, we wash every other day. The poop doesn' t sit long. I also use oxy clean on any spots and soak. I just clipped him on saturday. All the kids were covered so we had to wash them all. The boys do a bang up job. The heated wash rack has been a savior for my bones.