Clubby

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

I was wondering how does everyone defines "clubby"?  I have heard people curse clubby steers for beating them and other people praise them and the same for "clubby" cows and bulls but never heard anyone say what makes a specific animal clubby.  Idk if its a certain look or more hair or both. Just wondering  :)))

CPL

I don't know if this is the right definition, but its the one I use. To me I think its the way they are managed and how they look, if they have that "showy" appeal to them.

This bull isn't clubby:

2007-12-11-Template-002.jpg

But then this bull is:

AirForceOne.jpg

Just for the record I would prefer the first one  ;). Maybe someone else uses a different definition but I think that is the basic. I think the clubbies are just more prettied up and everything, plus its in their genetics.

Rustynail

I thought it was cattle that deep, long, and clean up front.  They are larger than range cows.

BCCC

clubby cattle are cattle, that have more bone, muscle, hair and eye appeal, compared to their predecessors, Clubby cattle also normally look hard doing.

Telos

I don't know were all this is going, but great topic.
I think all good cattle should fit in with the needs of the commercial cow/calf operator.
When I hear clubby I automatically think stout, thick, good muscle. Hair also comes to mind.
I associate clubby with cattle that are designed to compete in the showring. These usually are steers.
Clubby cows makes me think of a cow that can produce good show steers.
I question the practicality of Clubby cattle sometimes.

renegade

Well i was wondering if any good looking thick calf with eye appeal is clubby.  If thats true than anyone who raises nice calves even without clubby bloodlines could have a "club calf"?

Dusty

I guess to me the definition of clubby would be a calf that is bred specfically for the showring.  Some calves without clubby blood can still have the look, but to me to be clubby it has to be in their genetics.  When I think of a clubby cow, I think of cow that is really stout, deep, clean fronted, that has the potential to raise a club calf. 

CPL

If we're getting to where the "club" in "club"by came from, its was just what they called calves bred for clubs like 4-H and FFA. So they were called club calves because they were sold to these kids in their clubs that would show them. The rest is history. I agree with Telos, while clubby cattle look good in the show ring, they probably won't hold to well in pasture conditions.

AAOK

The term "Club Calf" came along some 30 - 40 years ago to represent "Show Calves" purchased for the 4-H or FFA club.  The Junior shows at that time were all "Fat Stock Shows", therefore all Club Calves were steers.  Breeders who sold to the Clubs had the advantage of tracking the rate of gain and carcass information from their stock through the Junior Programs.  Many became known as "Club Calf" breeders.  As the demand for show steers increased, entrepreneurial spirited cattlemen who purchased "Club Calves" for resale became knows as "Steer Jockeys".

"Clubby" now is used in reference to the Composite Bulls popular for siring Show Steers, the Steers themselves, and their Heifer mates.  "Clubby" is a term which should reference terminal show stock, and should not be used to describe Fullblood, or High Percentage Show Heifers, and Breeding Bulls.

Bawndoh

I definately do NOT think deep bodied when I think clubby.  Although that is what most people strive for, a lot of the calves out there are still gutless messes.  
I do, however, think "freaks".  Good looking freaks.  A good competitive club steer/heifer is usually an exadurated version of all the things desired.  HUGE butts, LONG hair, goose necks, and yes, STOUT STOUT STOUT in every way, shape and form.
I will agree with several others that some of the best clubby cows/bulls can be the hardest doing.  That has to be bred in because we are striving for the cleanest made cattle, but yet feeding them outstanding rations to finish them and keep them exactly how we want them.

knabe

to me, the offspring of clubby bulls are not getting their fair share of heterosis that the bull got, therefore, they are harder doing. 

one needs to sell hybrid vigor in their bull if you want to see it in their calves.

if the rotation is already in the bull at it's maximum effect, how can it possibly breed better than itself except through nicking with a narrowing pool?