CMAC Tyson

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

my vet has used him for a while now.  they are smallish, thick, lack lower quarter bulge, fatten decently easy, have some decent but not great style.  in my opinion, he seems to easily fatten for kids who are not total pros, as out here, most of the show cattle lack fat for some reason at smaller shows.  i went to our county fair, which yes, is small, but it was disappointing that some of the breeding heifers showed more fat than some of the steers.

furinsilex

Just had a few, but from what i have seen he makes calves that are thick and grow well. very good feeding type of cattle. dont expect him to clean up front ends at all..... if anything he amkes them worse.  Will add some style but not alot.... Good thick easy doing type of cattle

Clark Club Calves

We have a few Tyson calves if I get some pictures I will send them to you.  We used him on Wasn't Me Maine heifers and only had one calf die and I think that was partly our fault. The calves are solid over the top and very thick.  Most of our steer calves are pinched in the heart girth.  The calves have a good hip, top and front but they just don't flow together. I would like them better if they had their ears and tails the calves were born in Feb and we had some cold wearther (-40 C = -40 F) for a few weeks.  Even with the hair dryer and towels we could not keep ears I hope I don't have another calving season like that. They make great commercial calves just not smooth.  I think he would work great on fancy cattle needing some power.

ZNT

We have 2 fall babies out of him, and a friend of our south of Ft. Worth has several cows due to him within the next week that we A.I.ed for him.  So far, I am very happy with the ones we have.  We have one out of a full sister to Triple X that I am sure everyone will be seeing a LOT more from.

Chambero also had a very nice Tyson steer.  Out of their hundreds of calves born last year, the one and only Tyson calf they had made the showbarn.

AStar

Thanks for the replies. It always helps to get info from people who have actually used a certain sire.
Is there any other good calving ease Maine bulls that you guys would suggest?

ZNT

Joe Boy said:
ZNT and Chambero:
What type of cow would you use Tyson on?

We don't have a very big sampling, but I would say to use him on larger frame cows.  I've heard they can be a little smaller frame.  Also, as in most clubby type bulls, I would use him on your sounder made cows.

Maines in PA

I always like seeing pictures of OPC (other people's cattle) on here and finally got a chance to post some fairy recent pictures of the Tyson bull we're using for clean-up in 2010. He's a purebred out of Polled Energizer cow and was Reserve Champ Maine bull at the PA Farm show. Not especially clubby, but a solid and very sound calf. BW in the low 70s. He's dirty, but what you see is what there is.

Attachments

• Tusc side 2_10.jpg
    Tusc side 2_10.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 319
  • Tusc Head 2_10.JPG
    Tusc Head 2_10.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 297

Telos

Looks like another good Tyson. I haven't seen a big sampling, but the ones I've seen are very good. He has the ability to downsize those bigger cows plus he sure can help with the feet and legs...Very sound with good base width.

McTX

Had a Tyson Bull calf PB out of a full sib to Habanero cow, he is very nice....... nice extension and thick, square hipped, will probably keep for a bull , will try to post a picture later. weighed 90 lbs., also a very nice heifer calf out of a Maine cow, she stays as a replacement, very stylish, head up, but still feminine also nice fronted.

shortyisqueen

Here are two of the Tyson's we have...Had four really good ones this year out of nine and the rest are coming along really well and might surprise us yet. They were all super easy calving. These are out of Hereford/Shorthorn cows and are about a 2 months old.

Attachments

• 10x.jpg
    10x.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 263
  • 77x.jpg
    77x.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 284

SEA

We have had several CMAC Tyson calves over the past few years.  All good solid showy calves.  Several things I have found...

Easy calving.  I have not used him on heifers as I employ the "old standard", all my heifers get bred to easy calving Angus bulls.  However, I have him on second calvers that were still small and I was worried about pelvic size and maturity.  The calves are not high birth weights and are not huge shouldered or hipped.

His calves are consistent good.  Not just random like some clubby bulls to get a good one.

His calves are flashy, showy, good hipped, good fronted, thick topped and butted.  Not, just good feeding cattle.

He also throws some hair.  Straight and decent length. 

Also throws good bone and has a big foot.

Possibly our second best steer calf was out of him last year and I have another real good one on the ground this year.

I have also, seen him at stud two different years.  He looks like a good mature bull.  He is not  a small pud.  He is not a down sizer on moderate cattle or as small framed as most of the current "clubby bulls".  He is smaller framed than most Maines, which is why I like him. 

I would also try keeping females back out of him bred to small framed, deep ribbed, Ohlde type angus cows, because of the more maternal bulls (for a Maine), in his pedigree.

IMHO