coarse hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

TottenClubCalves

My new show heifer has really coarse like hair that doesn't want to pop or stay up. She's getting rinsed twice a day but IO just can't seem to get the coarseness out of her hair any ideas?

CAB

How long have you had her home? I think that maybe the hair is just different than what you are used to seeing because she came from such a different climate. Have you ever had a calf from the midwest that is getting ready for winter? Be careful not to rush her as far as getting her use to your environment. It will take her some time to adjust to your higher humidity levels. Other than the coarse hair, how is your baldie getting along?

TottenClubCalves

awesome she's really getting along well. Other than dragging me oh about 75 feet in the pasture the first day off breaking she's doing fine. she eating about 15 or more pounds a day getting 1-2 baths and under 2 fans and misters from about 6:30 to 6:30 everyday. She really calmed down in the past cuople off days she was never really mean just scared when she had a halter on her at first. I could actually walk up to her and pet her the first day I met her just walking her was a different story. Oh yeah and that picture you guys saw yeah she's feminine from the side profile but she looks like a mack truck in the back. CAB yes I did take into consideration about her hair being dfferent, so what should I do? is it trainable eeven though its coarse? That why I wanted t get your guys opinion because I've never owned a northern calve before. Thank you so much CAB for helping me.

chambero

I don't think you necessarily need to be rinsing her that much this time of year.  She's either going to grow hair or not during the winter.  Summer is a different story.

You can pull too much natural oil out of the hair.

TottenClubCalves

Oh well where on thankgiving break right now so that why she's getting two otherwise she would just get one a day and I'm only soaping her once a week othert tha that she get's a light oil in her hair everyday once a day. I'm not worried about growing it I'm worried about training it and keeping it. The average high temperature was 78 feeling like 81 with humidity. With fans misters and her dark pen it feels around 60-65. She has plenty of hair I just don't want her to lose it.

doubled

(clapping)We use maine and tail conditioner with some show sheen mixed in with it, that will really soften the hair and get rid of some of the
courseness- I swear by this product it is very beneficial to cattle hair, as does suave lavendar conditionar works well also but dont rinse it out
as much as the maine and tail.

doubled

TottenClubCalves said:
thank you justamom but why where you "clapping" just wondering?  :)

I just wanted to see how to add the clapping guy, no real reason sorry
just a happy person I guess

xkrushx

There is no limit on the number of times to rinse per day. The more the better. Just make sure they are 100% dry when you are done with them, especially in the winter months because they will get sick real easy. As far as the coarse hair goes, I would leave that light oil in the show box until show day and use Kleen Sheen after you are done rinsing every time. Get them completely dry and then spray Kleen Sheen on them and comb it in or brush it in and let it sit for 10 minutes or so, I usually would go mix their feed or clean their pen and come back, and then blow the kleen sheen that you already combed in straight back into them. Don't blow it forward, blow it into the hair, this will create the pop and train the hair to stick out. If Kleen Sheen doesnt make her hair less coarse try conditioning her hair once a week or so, but again, make sure all conditioner is out of her hair after washing or dandruff will start for sure. Hope this helps and keep us updated..

krush

renegade

My bull at the begining of last year had the curly,thick, course hair O0 and i didnt really know what to do with it. I just brushed and rinsed him a lot, used people shampoo and conditioner and blew him out when i was using someone elses blower... like at a  show and when i did blow him out at the show it looked perfect because the hair would pop, it would lay just right and look super thick and it had almost a velvety feel to it.  I went out today and was looking at his hair and he hasnt been clipped since july and he has all of his curls back on the face and brisket but the body hair was still laying nice, it was managable and soft.

shortyisqueen

I would get out the rice-root brush and BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH!! Brush until your arms are tired! When your brush is worn out, your heifer's hair will be popping!

If you're already doing this, then you're doing everything you can, so keep working and in time, your hard work will pay off!

AAOK

It sounds to me like you have a calf with what we call Pig Hair.  We had only 1 of these, and were worried, but it turned out great.  Kleen Sheen, and a couple of Rice Root brushes (one for each hand) will do the trick.  Rinse, comb, spray in Kleen Sheen, and then Brush, Brush, Brush.  I believe in putting up wet, regardless of the weather conditions.  The hair seems to "set" better.  The only time we ever use a blow dryer is when grooming the body for Show.  If you need additional set, add 1/2 tube of Hair Gel to 1 gallon of Kleen Sheen. Shake well.