Cold/Flu remedies

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Anyone have any good cold or flu remedies? Hubby is getting over a really bad cold. I usually don't get colds (get everything else so the good Lord must balance it out) but feel a sore throat & plugged ears coming on. w/ the OBE almost here I don't want to be sick ( woody has a play date). Any good folk  or ones you've triedremedies?

Red  :p

fluffer

Ugg, Red, I feel for you and your Hubby!  Colds just suck!

1. Zicam- take it RELIGOUSLY and it will work.  Always works for me
2. Zinc- pills
3. Vit C- chewable or pill (I perfer chewable  ;))
4. Fresh squeezed OJ
5. Sleep

I started getting a cold a few weeks a go and I took these things (its a full time job in itself) but just take them, take something about every hour and you will kick it.  Just check the warnings on all of the drugs and make sure they will be ok with any drugs your currently taking.  Also, may want to call the DR.  When I was on the Judging team a couple days before the National contest I started getting a sore throat,  Went to the DR, they gave me a coupel things and I kicked it just like that!

Good Luck!

Simmymom1

Red - I agree with Fluffer, but you might also want to try Theraflu.  That is the stuff that you add to hot water and drink.  I swear by that stuff, it is like instant relief for my family.  I hope your hubby gets to feeling better soon!!  (angel)

red

stuff like that keeps me awake, even Niquill (SP) I'm one that slleps when I get sick. Might try the Zicam though. Is that the stuff you put up your nose?

Red

kimbaljd

red said:
stuff like that keeps me awake, even Niquill (SP) I'm one that slleps when I get sick. Might try the Zicam though. Is that the stuff you put up your nose?

Red

It is Red. Bought some for my kiddo the other day. She is still running wild and driving mr nuts, so I guess it works.

knabe

this thread, and pine pollen has reminded me to go get a neti pot and dare myself to flush my nose.  from what i hear, i guy otta be prepared for not getting all the water out and have leakage and carry a tissue

fluffer

red said:

Red

Red,
Zicam comes in all kinds of forms.  I perfer the chews, but have also used the rapid melts.  I hate sticking things up my nose  ;)  The chews always work well for me.  If you start it as soon as you notice symptoms. or if your like me, as soon as anyone at my house gets a cold, you should be OK. 

I can't believe I almost forgot the MOST IMPORTANT HOME REMADIE- HONEY!!!!!!!  Take a spoon full of honey if you have a caugh or ANY type of "infection"  I usually have a cup of tea every evening and I put a BIG spoonfull of honey in it even when I am healthy.  I perfer the orange blossom, but any will do.  The raw honey is best, but if you would rather, the pasturized will work too.

Good luck

garett

One way to stop coughing at night is to rub a good coating of Vicks on the bottom of your feet then put socls on and go to bed--I know it sounds strange but I've done it several times and it works like a charm

BRdoc

Red, The best Flu remedy I have ever taken or given my patients is "oscillococcinum". It is a natural product by Boiron. (pronounced Bore..On) Most of your better health food stores will have it. It comes in a rectangular box , white with orange , with either 6 or 12 small vials. Doesn't taste bad and will turn a two week flu into 3-4 days!
I tank up on Vit C when I feel something coming on also. Usually about 3-4,000 milligrams per day. Just an option, Hope you don't actually get sick Red!!

BRdoc

knabe said:
this thread, and pine pollen has reminded me to go get a neti pot and dare myself to flush my nose.  from what i hear, i guy otta be prepared for not getting all the water out and have leakage and carry a tissue
  Knabe, You must get a Neti Pot!! I can't tell you how many patients of mine have totally got off all sinus and allergy meds after using the Neti Pot!! It seems way to simple to work. But, I DOES work every time. The trick is to get the correct head tilt while flushing and do not blow your nose after. Just carry a tissue and it will stop draining in about 5 min or less. Good Luck!

CPL

Get a bottle of Saline Spray (CVS or anywhere else).

Also swap your noses with hydrogen peroxide (Blow you nose afterward  ;D). Swap throat too. Gargle salt water. Sleep, etc etc.

If you are going to get Vitamin C make sure you are getting a good product or else you're wasting time and money. Most of these "vitamins" are coming from rocks and other materials that CANNOT be used by your body. You would be better off drinking orange juice and other fruits for your Vitamin C.

I hate cold/flu season. I hope he gets better quick, being sick is NOT fun.  :mad:

common sense

Oh I feel so bad for you!  My doctor highly recommended taking Mucinex DM.  The DM is important as it helps stop the cough!  She said to stay away from other products like sudafed etc while taking Mucinex as they are counter active...or something like that . She said that you need to drink TONS of water.  The most important thing is that you need to get plenty of rest/sleep.  This thing is actually taking a couple of weeks to run its course.  Just plan on taking at least a week off your routine and get LOTS of sleep.  Pamper yourself and above all buy yourself that toilet paper with the aloe instead of the kleenex.  It is MUCH softer on your nose! (angel)  Get better soon!  I worry about you!

BCCC

I was told to take the Mucinex DM, it didnt help AT ALL :'( takle the theraflu liquid, the red stuff, it is GREAT i love it. I have tried th ezicam nose htingys and they didnt work very well but the liquid did.

fluffer

Mucinex can make you really sick to your stomach.  So becareful if you take it.  I know everyone has different reactions to drugs, but that one is nasty!

Simmymom1

Red - How are you and your hubby feeling today?  I just wanted to check on you..... (angel)