Cold Hands

Help Support Steer Planet:

SWMO

I am needing advice/information from all out Northern friends on the best gloves and boots to keep hands and feet warm in below zero weather.

I don't have any trouble keeping warm with the exception of my hands.  When my hands get cold they hurt.

HAB

leather chopper mittens with wool/cotton inserts-  more than 1 insert when it gets below -20 F

BadgerFan

HAB said:
leather chopper mittens with wool/cotton inserts-  more than 1 insert when it gets below -20 F

correct.  they aren't much for dexterity, but at least you can feel your fingers.

Bulldaddy

Someone on this board recommended Muck Boots as the best cold weather insulated, waterproof boots awhile back.  I bought a pair and they have been the warmest, most comforable all weather boots I have ever worn.  Of course, the best test so far has been the cold snap down to 16 F last night and they worked great.

jbzdad

I use insulated leather  work gloves from orschlein ... the leather cuts the cold a lot more than you would think... I have been good here in Kansas this week but it has only been about zero when I have been out..Since I am feeding hay the leather keeps the hay stuff away from the insulation of  my gloves. bought a new balaclave (very thin) at the bike shop yesterday... really helps the cold neck trouble... still struggle with face windburning  and glasses fogging.. oh well

OH Breeder

In extreme cases you can also buy the heat packs. Break them and slide them in your gloves or boots. WOW they will warm you right up.
I layer everything. I have poor circulation anyways so I have to be extra cautious. No matter what boot you select leave some room for air circulation inside. I wear wool socks because they breath. Cotton will hold mositure and make your feet colder.

coachmac

Bass pro/Academy has merino wool socks.  I use them for hunting and have another couple pair for outside work during...... well, times like these.  Agree with the muck boots as well. Mine work well with cotton socks but combined with the merino..... Toasty!  The merino also wicks moisture away from your feet.

brick hollow

wells lamont 5127 work 2500 tag says cold weather,thermofill. These are the best I have found. Kinco also makes the same style.

HAB

BadgerFan said:
HAB said:

correct.  they aren't much for dexterity, but at least you can feel your fingers.

and if it gets really cold, I throw in a hot hands (TM) type hand warmer in between the layered liners.  Fingers stay warm, but as badger fan said not much for dexterity.

farmin female

Bogs makes some good cold/wet weather boots.  You can get them in steel toe also (if necessary)

showcat

Yes, Muck boots are great.  Patagonia is a great brand for thin, insulated clothing.

ruhtram

I put hand warmers in my gloves...they last around 10 hours, they work real great!

mlazyj

We use Kinco insulated gloves up here and slide hand warmers in the top . I bought a pair of Muck boots Artic Sports this winter ,because everyone had said they were the greatest . I got the one in a thousand that is a lemon I guess, I hate them my feet stay warmer in regular leather boots . I wear nothing but merino wool socks have for years ,try to find 75% wool .

LostFarmer

The only thing you can do with gloves on is wet your pants.

I am also a scoutmaster and take kids winter camping.  I have found that loose boots and gloves are as important as what the boots and gloves are.  If adding extra liners causes tightness you will restrict circulation and get cold.  I love the chopper mits but you can't do much when you have them on.  Boots I like my white insulated packs.  The kinko gloves are pretty good for the money.  I also like the green chore gloves.  I have 3 to 6 pair all the time and keep a dry pair on all the time.  Dry and loose matters.  LF