Cold weather *Daily hair care*

Help Support Steer Planet:

MotoMojo09

Hi  I was wondering how everyone keeps there hair clean when its to cold for bathes or how cold is to cold?
And what does everyone use for there daily hair care routines

OH Breeder

An til their are icicles hanging we rinse and wash like usual. Once it freezes and the temps are consistently below freezing we use a heated wash rack and blow them out with double blowers.We dont wash as frequently when freezing but keeping Klean Sheen in their hair makes it much easier to keep them clean.

BABYTEX

I would liek a little more info onthis. We are in West Central Minnesota and mornings have been around 30 degrees so far this fall/winter and it is soon to get colder and I have a chromy looking calf and have no idea how to keep him clean other than the clean sheen and we are hoping to take my chromy Sun Seeker to the North Star Classic in Valley City in three weeks.

OH Breeder

BabyTex,
The number one thing with any white, you have to keep there pen clean. The kids pick the pens just like you would a horse stall. The cleaner you keep the pen the less likely you are to get dirty. Kleen Sheen after washing will help keep the dirt from sticking. ONce a calf becomes accustom to being washed in cold weather their body adjust. You have to get them dry fast in cold weather. Most of our calves have a pretty good coat right now. The more you brush the more the natural oils will be secreted and it also helps remove dirt. I am old and my bones ache. I always try to help wash in the winter so, I built a heated wash rack. Not everyone has that luxury. It was the best investment I made.

WFCC

try this: rinse everyday until there is ice in the mornings.  Wash only one of 2 times a week.  Rinse daily and blow dry with your heat switch on especially in cold temperatures.  After they are completely dry mix rag oil and kleen sheen and spray it on the entire body.  Brush in the coat stretching the hair forward with a rice root brush.  Blow in the kleen sheen. then for all 4 legs and the tail head use sullivans white foam styling mousse. spray it on those areas and brush the legs up and the tailhead as you would if you fit it.  then blow the styling mousse in as well.

MotoMojo09

WFCC said:
try this: rinse everyday until there is ice in the mornings.  Wash only one of 2 times a week.  Rinse daily and blow dry with your heat switch on especially in cold temperatures.  After they are completely dry mix rag oil and kleen sheen and spray it on the entire body.  Brush in the coat stretching the hair forward with a rice root brush.  Blow in the kleen sheen. then for all 4 legs and the tail head use sullivans white foam styling mousse. spray it on those areas and brush the legs up and the tailhead as you would if you fit it.  then blow the styling mousse in as well.

Do u use the mousse as a daily hair product??

WBar Farms

Alright im from colorado so its pretty cold here in the winter and i am very busy in the winter too. whaqt should i do keep nice hair throughout the winter? im available to wash him about once a week but thats about it is that enough?

BABYTEX

Thanks for all the great responses.  I was so lucky when I purchased my animal.  I had two weeks to prepare for our MN Beef Expo as well as break my Sunseeker to lead.  I am very new to the show business but the day we brought her home she was also weaned.  Within two days we had her broke to lead and I actually think the colder weather and pasture time helped her hair because she has had great hair from day one.  We had very nice weather up to our beef expo in October so was able to work on the hair daily up to that time but have been a little lax lately because the weather has been getting colder.  The last couple days I did warm water baths to get her knees cleaned up and we are tryign to keep our pen as clean as possible.  I also sheen on a daily basis and blow as well.  I just hope it stays somewhat warm up to the North Star Classic. 

WFCC

yes i use the white foam styling mousse everytime i rinse or soap.