College or No College

Help Support Steer Planet:

jphelps

Do you think that going to an ag college or a college with ag classes is needed? I'm starting my own herd and I want to stay around home to take care of the herd and the local college does not have ag classes. I guess what I am asking is how beneificial you think it would be? As apposed to going to shows, meeting other breeders, and cattle men and learning that way.

steel

I would say this much. I quit school to come home and do something similar.  After12 years and 5 hand surgeries later there isn't a day that goes by that i s don't think about 1 thing.. That saying would be once u have a degree no 1 can take away from u.  Some thing that we can put on hold now mite pay for any of us in the long run.  I would say school first. U have the rest of your life to work. Go to school even if u don't get an Ag degree nothing says u cant us in the Ag field somewhere down the road.

Sammy

You will probably get many answers that will suggest that ag classes are essential because that is what they did and that is fine.  However I suspect that many successful livestock people never took an ag class, as to a great extent you learn old information and a particular line of thinking that professors that have no practice experience will promote.  Sometimes this hinders your ability to think outside the box.  Not to say that you will not make some blunders on your own from trying to go outside the box but often that is a lot more fun.  If you are disciplined and determined you can do OK but it is important to continue your education in areas that you think that you will need such as accounting and business just to learn how to think, and apply that to whatever path you take.  Most important is to learn something where you can make a living outside farming/ranching should you need to do so as many things can change.  And to me that is not a general degree in ag, history or psychology.  You need a marketable skill or profession that is in demand now and into the future.

SouthWest

I started working in a feedyard as a teenager. I loved it.  I stopped and went off to college.  I got my degree in Ag Economics after 5 yrs.  I came back and now manage a sucessful large feedyard.  As I look around at competitors managers, I notice more and more college degrees.  I am even noticing a few master degrees.  I urge you to pursue your college degree.  I will though will give you a bit of advise an old cattleman gave me, "son no college book will teach you more than you learn hands on a farm.  If you want to be sucessful in cattle, learn how to manage money.  Don't pursue a degree in animal science, you already have more experience than most teachers.  Get a degree in business."  I did.  Upper management manages the business aspects of livestock.  You can learn more about livestock at you farm after college.  My suggestion is to pursue a degree at you local college in business.  Doesn't have to be ag business.  That way you become more diversified in your future endeavors.  Good luck, set goals, and strive to achieve them.

kobo_ranch

Well there's lots of things to think about?  Do you own your own herd (free and clear) or are you just riding someone else's coat tails... How much land do you have free and clear ...  (is it actually deeded in your name?) and even if all these are YES answers... I still think school can't hurt a thing.  Make you a better person.  Time flies and you can't get it back...  always good to have something to fall back on too. (like Southwest says... good to be diversified)  I so wish when I was young my folks would have pushed me to go longer to school.  I have always thought that having a degree wasn't all it was cracked up to be... nothing replaces good old hands on experience... right....

But combine the two with drive, ambition, honesty and hard work and I think the sky's the limit.  Regardless of what you have to start with.  GOOD LUCK!  (takes a lot of that too!) 

jphelps

I should have stated this in the first post. The subject is wrong that is not what I meant...I am going to college no matter what, like some of you said a degree to fall back on is always good. I was thinking a business management or something of the sort. I was asking wheather you think an ag education would be beneficiary or necessary to succeed in the cattle business. Or as I said just taking business related classes. 
kobo ranch..yes I own my animals, the herd is half mine, half my brothers. We have 20 acres of land, in my dads name

lightnin4

As others have stated, I don't think an ag degree is essential, but do get a degree.  If you can study reasonably close to home at a good program (business, accounting, etc...) then go for it.  The proximity may allow you to work ith your cattle at home and attend shows and events to meet other breeders and learn some hands on.  You'll find that when you get started in college, you can schedule classes so that you will have some flexibility to do outside activities.  I rarely had classes after 12 or 1:00 and scheduled a couple of semesters so that I didn't have any classes on Friday.

GoWyo

Get a degree.  Does not have to be ag.  If you get an ag degree, make sure you have enough credits to minor in something else or even get a double related degree by staying an extra semester or year.  Cattle and ag in general is way more fun if it isn't the only thing you are qualified or educated to do.

Rock*River

Was in your same shoes back in 1988.  I made the decision pursue a non-agricultural degree.  I figured that if you have an ag degree, it could limit you to jobs the ag field.  However, with a solid ag background, a 'normal' degree can still get you a job in the ag business sector.  Hope my explanation makes sense.  It worked for me, I'm a CFO for a bank, which pays the bills and helps me to live the farmer life after 5:00 and on weekends.  Best of luck to you....whatever you do, do it 110% and work harder than the rest.

SFASUshowman

I agree with everyone else...do get a degree, even if it isnt agriculture related...I am personally pursuing a Bachelor's, Master's, and then Doctorate in Animal Science...but its because that is my dream.  One thing I will caution all on though(I say this because of a prior post) be careful calling professors people "with no practical experience" it is true that lots of students with no practical experience earn Master's or even Doctorates...but it is more rare for those with no practical experience to get jobs as professors.  Practical experience is a HUGE factor when universities are hiring professors...true you may get a lecturer or 2 along the way that dont have much experience, but they typically have a lot of research experience in a particular area that makes them particularly qualified to teach that class...I am not trying to tell everyone to be ag majors...just saying lots of why our industry is successful is because people went and got masters and doctorate degrees, became professors and did the massive amounts of research that developed the feeds you feed, supplements you use, etc.
On a side note should you decide to go towards an Animal Science type degree, choose a school with a good TEACHING farm...notice I didnt say RESEARCH farm...many schools pride themselveson their research farms, which I agree is vital for our industry, however in my opinion many times farms focused on research dont always make the most practical learning environments for students, especially undergraduate students...I feel lucky to go to a university with a farm that is great for the learning environment, but again I work there so I may be biased!

steelroom

This is all that I have to say- With an education when you fall down you can get back up. Without an education it is really hard if possible at all. An education is something you will always have, no one can take it away from you.Also this is something that you can give your children, be aggressive at the books and at work.  In order for this country to survive we must be educated at all levels, because sometimes being a hard worker with some morals is not enough to survive now days.

J

JTM

I have a bachelor's in Business Management and believe it is very relevant to agriculture and the cattle business. If you learn how businesses make money and what sets them apart and allows them to survive and thrive, then you can do anything. If I had it to do over, I would go to a good ag school like Purdue or Ohio State, still go for Business Management, but take some ag classes also. With a business degree, you can be in the job market for any industry...

DLD

I do agree that an ag degree is not essential for most.  It can be somewhat limiting, but it is necessary in certain areas - it just depends on what direction you choose to go.  The one thing I will say for it is this - technically I don't need a degree at all for the things I do right now, but  the experiences I had and the connections I made while I was earning that ag degree have contributed more to where I am than the degree itself.

jphelps

Thank you for all of the great responses, I think the local college business degree is what I will try and pursue, unless of course they get an ag program then I would probably major in that.

Davis Shorthorns

One thing about going to school to get a ag degree instead of something else is the people that you will meet and the connections that you will create while you are there.  I have may friends that I made in college that are also people I try to do business with.  Also what exactly do you want to do with your life???  If all you want to do is ag then I would highley sugest a ag degree.  If you want to do something else and have cattle on the side the do that.  Just make sure what you are going to school for is something that you will like to do the rest of your life. 

Show Heifer

Without a doubt, get a degree (in which you said you are already doing - GREAT!). It seems that your question is "WHAT to get a degree in". My suggestion is get a degree in what ever your passion is. If you are a numbers person, go for business. If you are a people person, go for communications. If you enjoy the environment, go for a ecological biology degree. My point is simple, darn near ANY degree will help you in the agricultural field. I often tell my students, that school doesn't neccessarily teach you things you need every day, but it does prove you can approach an unknown topic, learn it, and master it. The act of LEARNING is what school is about. It is a life long process and I think you are on the right track. I wish you luck!