color question?????

Help Support Steer Planet:

SKF

If you breed a purebred Charloias to a purebred Angus can you get a colored marked up calf of would you get a solid color calf? Just had one born this week that is smokie and white marked like a pinzgauer white down the back and a all white tail plus white on the face and underbelly. Just wondering if our maine bull got out with her.

SKF

I didn't think it was possiable either. Thats why I am thinking that my maine bull got out with her.

DLD

Actually, I think it might be possible. The "skunk pattern" pops up out of Charolais crosses on all sorts of things. Is there any reason to suspect your Maine bull would throw a smokie? That pretty much requires some Charolais or Simmental influence...

SKF

Our maine bull has thrown a smokie and white calf out of a all about you char cross heifer. This new calf is out of a reg. char and a reg angus. The skunk pattern suprised me because I thought that was a pinzgauer trait. All of our other angus sired calves have been solid black and the only white on any of them was on the face. I did not know that the char would through the skunk pattern. Learn something new all the time. We have one more reg. char heifer due to calve anyday that was bred to the angus bull.

Rocky Hill Simmental

There are a lot of skunk striped charolais crosses. I have a cow (yellow char x simme) and her daughter (smokey 1/2 simme, 1/4 char, 1/4 angus) marked up like that. But the mother came from a spotted fleckvieh simmental cow.

I would think the maine bull got to her.

But I have seen a lot of calves and I have no idea how they got those colors. I have a bucket calf right now and the people who sold him to me claim he came from a registered black angus bull and an angus female (I saw - she had white on her). The calf has a white spot on his head, is light red with black tiger stripes (the stripes poped up recently  ??? He wasn't like that when I bought him), a huge dewlap, and floppy ears. I didn't see the "angus" bull but he still doesn't look anything like the mother.  ;D

Latest posts