color question

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

i have some half blood short horns who are solid red (rr)

what colors would i get breeding them to a blue roan (specificly manchild)

i think i have this right but im not sure

to get a blue roan you have a black and white gene correct? (BW)

punnet square

B                  W

r    Br              rW

r Br                Wr

so theoreticly i should get 50 percent het. black and 50 percent red roan..... right  ??? ???

BCCC

zach said:

punnet square

B                   W

r     Br              rW

r Br                Wr

so theoreticly i should get 50 percent het. black and 50 percent red roan..... right  ??? ???
whats the half blood shortys dam or sire?

farmboy

non registered, they are from some powerplant grand daughters, the bull was a purebred we used several years ago

if they are red from black cows with a red agene they would have to be (rr)

Diamond

Im not to sure but dosen't co-dominence come into play when you are looking at the pradictability of roans ? when you use a punent square woulden't it be say RrBb for example ? :)))

frostback

zach said:

punnet square

B                   W

r     Br              rW

r Br                Wr

by george youve got it

OH Breeder

The roan gene in shorthorns is quiet different than a simple chart. I have an article on it because it cross different have to look up the right terms. But it could be gamble on color because of that coloration of roan. Some people do not know they have a roan. They think they have Red and White but actually if the red and white hairs mix at all they are really roan. Let me do some checking and I will try and find my article.

bcosu

i think that diamond is really close. shorthorn cattle are an exception to the rule is what i learned in school. but i think you have to work two traits at once to really figure it out. it has been a few years since i took a biology class but i think it is really just a more complex punnet square. sorry but i forget the rules and everything. i hope this helps.

frostback

Your just wrong. There are only two genes involved in colour. You get one form the sire and one from the dam. There are other genes involved in the markings of the animals however. Some shorthorns carrier the spotting gene. Heat Seekers dam was one of them that is why you get white markings on his calves and Heatwaves calves for example. There are also different genes involved for socks, belly and body and face markings. True red with white shorthorns are (rr) animals with a spotting gene. A roan animal is (rW) but could also pass on the spotting gene. Also remember that Red Necked, Light, Dark, Purple, White, Red and so on are all just adjectives describing the same thing and that is a ROAN animal. The different variations of roan animals all have the same two genes but just in different patterns and quantities.

Davis Shorthorns

frostback said:
Your just wrong. There are only two genes involved in colour. You get one form the sire and one from the dam. There are other genes involved in the markings of the animals however. Some shorthorns carrier the spotting gene. Heat Seekers dam was one of them that is why you get white markings on his calves and Heatwaves calves for example. There are also different genes involved for socks, belly and body and face markings. True red with white shorthorns are (rr) animals with a spotting gene. A roan animal is (rW) but could also pass on the spotting gene. Also remember that Red Necked, Light, Dark, Purple, White, Red and so on are all just adjectives describing the same thing and that is a ROAN animal. The different variations of roan animals all have the same two genes but just in different patterns and quantities.

There is a 3rd gene it is called the wild type gene.  That is where you get the roan coloration, tiger stripes, etc...  ( Just learned that in my genetics class.  Thank goodness for college. :) )