Comeercail hereford

Help Support Steer Planet:

KDSC

I have a commercail hereford cow. She is simplier made. The 2 main things she needs are hair O0 and a bigger butt.  I would like to find a hereford bull , shortie or a PB maine bull. thanks a lot  jw what would i get if i bred her to say sin city?

OH Breeder

I have seen some really cool Double Visoin x Hereford calves. I am not a fan of both TH and PH but he does make them pretty and adds muscle.
There are alot of maine bulls on the market. You came to the right place with all the Maine enthusiasts here you should have some luck with advice.

kanshow

I remember seeing a  couple new Hereford bulls that were pretty interesting  in one of the semen catalogs that we got this fall.  I always flip thru the Hereford section with interest because that's what my family raised when I was growing up and that's what I used to show.    Anyway in all the Christmas mess, I cannot locate the new catalogs - I'm pretty sure it was either ABS or Acc. Genetics.  I'll check out their websites to see what I find. 

KDSC

what about purple inferno, purple millsap, and grand slam for herefords

what about eclipse, phildon get serious, sin city,  and slaute for shorties

what about heatwave, who, hired man, dr. who, or cherry bomb, for crosses

RSC

KDSC said:
I have a commercail hereford cow. She is simplier made. The 2 main things she needs are hair O0 and a bigger butt.  I would like to find a hereford bull , shortie or a PB maine bull. thanks a lot  jw what would i get if i bred her to say sin city?
How about Paddy O Malley?  Ice Pick Genetics on commercial Herefords has worked great in the past for us.  The first few years that we ran Ice Chest with some commercial cows, the calves out of some run of the mill commercial Hereford cows were a pleasant surprise.  Several county fair champions.  Baldies and brockles with mass and very easy feeding.  From a mass and fleshing standpoint, POM seems to be breeding sim. to IC with more hair.  The only concern I have heard from POM is some can be to straight on the hind wheels.  I wouldn't think this would be an issue with POM on a Hereford cow.  I haven't always been a big Hereford fan but a Hereford crossed with the right Maine Bull can be tuff to beat. 

RSC

garybob

What's her internal pelvic area?  Why not use Leveldale Javelin, or, JSF Real World? You'd get a sure-enough RED baldy, or brockle, that kicks butt in the Rate-of-gain or Carcass Contest? Javelin would have plenty of hair to be easily fitted.

shortyjock89

I kinda like the sound of Javelin on this cow too.  If you don't wanna go with him, but still want a shorthorn to add hair and butt, why not, and I know this sounds cliche by this point, Jake's Proud Jazz? He's kind of old school and will put alot of muscle and rear quarter in the calf and will definately put hair on them. Just don't use him if ur cow is any smaller than a frame 6.

DLD

Someone earlier mentioned Grand Slam - he will not add muscle, or hair. He does do alot of other things right, good structure, nice balance, long neck, adequate bone, but prob'ly not what you're needing. The Mullinix bulls (Purple Inferno, Purple Milsap) do look interesting, but I haven't seen them in person nor any calves out of them. You might consider some of the Hereford influence bulls from Kris Black, like Tiger or Idaho Spud.

I have a Hereford heifer bred to Jakes Proud Jazz for this spring, so obviously I don't think that's a bad idea. If you're not concerned with carrier status, Warhorse is an old standby in this scenario.

As far as Maine's go, if you can find some High Roller it works very well. So does Stinger (again, if you don't mind his carrier status). Not sure about any kind of newer MA bulls that gives you good odds of red white faced calves, but there're prob'ly some out there.

KDSC

yeah she if i bred her to a bull that was too straight there wouldnt be any problem at all, actaully that would be better. Not real cean on the carrier genetics, seeing as if its a bull calf it will be sticking around to go into the herd and if one day i have a cow out of him that i want to breed but dont know which bull she is actally form that could be bad, so i would like non carrier genetics. I would also liked polled but if not it aint a huge deal.

I am really wanting a hereford bull( like Purple Inferno or Purple Milsap) to bred her to so i can have a new hereford sire if its a bull and if not then i will have another hereford female, but my son wants to bred her to a maine or a shortie so it will have more hair, muscle, and bone so he can have a new show heifer or a clena up bull for his cows. So it really doesnt matter.

CPL

What about UPS ODYSSEY 1ET. This is all pretty much a shot in the dark since we have no idea what her strengths and weaknesses are. And she probably has more weaknesses than just no  hair and a small butt. I'm guessing you're wanting more of a show ring type calf, so some other bulls of interest are LaGrand Reload 80P ET, TRM 2128 37E 121 KUDZU 4066, and any of the Purple Reign bulls, tonic, inferno, milsap, would also be points of interest.

Good Luck, but if you were just wanting to get a Hereford Bull, why not go out and by one? Do you know the genetics behind this commerical cow? Seems to me you'd just be better off getting a 2 yr old from a proven outfit than hoping on getting a bull that might not even be worthy of his nuts.

KDSC

yes i know the genetics of this cow. we have spent way to much money this year on bulls(over 15k) :'( and we could still use one more for my commercail angus cow herd.(for those black baldys)., but if we extend our breeding season they will all get bred upto about 90%

Could you guys help me on where these bulls are at(pictuers and semen) I really like millsap and inferno, does any one know of a mature picture of them ???

CPL

UPS ODYSSEY 1ET
1et.jpg

LaGrand Reload 80P ET
80PET_20051021.jpg

TRM 2128 37E 121 KUDZU 4066
trm4066.jpg

Purple Inferno
Inferno.jpg

Purple Tonic
Purple_Tonic.jpg

Purple Milsap
Milsap_5.jpg

DB Grand Slam
GrandSlam.jpg

GQ
ftp21EF(1).tmp

Most of the semen on these bulls can be found at http://www.reedent.com . I've seen some Odyssey calves and they were really stout. Also the GQ's seem to be doing well in the show ring.

garybob

My vote is tied between Oddyssey, and Kudzu. They're very functonal-looking. They epitomize an antiquated term from Livestock Judging--Breed Character.
Do any of you young people ever use those words in your reasons?

afhm

Doctor Who and Johnny Walker Red will throw hereford marked calves.  Check out Orrell's website, they have a couple of bulls they sell semen on that really work.