Congrats to Shortdawg's Dawgs! Congrats to all the SEC fans!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJ

Well-known member
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
2,036

After a rocky start the  (dog) (dog) (dog)  finished #2 in the final AP poll!!    (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

IMHO, they could legitimately argue that they were actually the best team in America @ the end of the bowl season.  I think that they probably were the best team in America after the bowl games & IMHO, they were the BEST defensive team that Kentucky played all season long (that list of teams includes LSU, Florida State, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, Miss State, Arkansas, Vandy, Louisville & Florida Atlantic)!  I also think that the Georgia Dawgs have a good shot at being the preseason #1 next year & if they can get through the SEC, I think they may just win it all.   

Anyway, I want to congrat Shortdawg & the Georgia Bulldogs (clapping) , a team that I actually thought might finish #4 or #5 in the SEC East...  :eek:  So, I must now admit that was I wrong!!   


I also want to congratulate all of the SEC fans on this board.  The following S-E-C  teams were ranked #1 (LSU), #2 (UGA), #12(Vols), #13 (Gators), #15(Auburn), #28(Kentucky), #31(Arkansas) and #33 (Mississippi State) in the final AP poll!!  I don't know if we have any Mississippi State fans or LSU fans, but all those other SEC teams are well represented on this board.  Once again, congrats!!  (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)
 

knabe

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 7, 2007
Messages
13,640
Location
Hollister, CA
boys against men.  totally amazing how they threw around Laurinaitis of O. state, the butkus award winner.  i kept thinking of a sled tug of war watching the two lines go against the each other.  o. state was always in the mud.  was amazed at some of the LSU tackles how they used their bodies after they wrapped them to help throw down the opponent.  totally athletic d-line on lsu.
 

TJ

Well-known member
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
2,036
red said:

Red, I know how you feel.  We started off 6-1, with wins over #1 ranked LSU, Arkansas @ Arkansas (McFadden & Jones), Louisville (Brian Brohm & they were top 10 at the time) & Florida Atlantic (8 win bowl team).  We were sitting on top of the world at that point!!  But, then our players got a bit too cocky, IMHO, key injuries hit us hard & we got into the "meat of our SEC schedule".  Before I could blink, our 6-1 record had turned into 8-5.  Pretty disappointing after a hot start, but I am still proud that we won 8 games & beat some awful good teams along the way.  I am especially proud that we beat a very fired up Florida State team in our bowl game, that was a huge win for our SR's & our program in general, IMHO.   

Honestly, with all the players that Ohio State lost from last years squad, just getting back to the BCS Championship game was a huge accomplishment for the Buckeyes, IMHO.   

One other thing, both of our teams (Kentucky & Ohio State) are young & the future looks extremely bright for both schools, IMHO.  However, the only problem is that Georgia & Florida are also young & IMHO, they both look to be serious national title contenders next year.  So it isn't going to get any easier!!
 

TJ

Well-known member
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
2,036
knabe said:
boys against men.  totally amazing how they threw around Laurinaitis of O. state, the butkus award winner.  i kept thinking of a sled tug of war watching the two lines go against the each other.  o. state was always in the mud.  was amazed at some of the LSU tackles how they used their bodies after they wrapped them to help throw down the opponent.  totally athletic d-line on lsu.

I agree.  I don't want to take anything away from LSU's skill guys, but the line play was the reason why LSU won the game, IMHO.  Ohio State came in fired up, had a good gameplan & they were ready to play.  LSU was either sleep walking or had too many butterflies or something at the beginning of the game.  Ohio State had serious momentum on their side, but then the O & D lines for LSU slowly began to take over the game & then they started to dominate more & more, as the game went on.  Ohio State made it interesting, but they just got "out horsed" by a team that is loaded with future NFL talent.         
 

itk

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2007
Messages
556
Location
KS
Where is the Big 12 love. We had four teams in the top ten and still don't get as much respect as other conferences. Being a KSU alumni I hate to say that KU and Mizzu were awefully good teams. Maybe KSU can turn its football program around here in the next few years but if not we can again say our basketball team is on the rise. If you haven't got a chance to see Micheal Beasley play yet you should. He is a absolute stud and will be the NBA's next star.
 

fluffer

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 6, 2007
Messages
644
Location
Springfield, Ohio
TJ said:
red said:

Red, I know how you feel.  We started off 6-1, with wins over #1 ranked LSU, Arkansas @ Arkansas (McFadden & Jones), Louisville (Brian Brohm & they were top 10 at the time) & Florida Atlantic (8 win bowl team).  We were sitting on top of the world at that point!!  But, then our players got a bit too cocky, IMHO, key injuries hit us hard & we got into the "meat of our SEC schedule".  Before I could blink, our 6-1 record had turned into 8-5.   Pretty disappointing after a hot start, but I am still proud that we won 8 games & beat some awful good teams along the way.  I am especially proud that we beat a very fired up Florida State team in our bowl game, that was a huge win for our SR's & our program in general, IMHO.   

Honestly, with all the players that Ohio State lost from last years squad, just getting back to the BCS Championship game was a huge accomplishment for the Buckeyes, IMHO.   

One other thing, both of our teams (Kentucky & Ohio State) are young & the future looks extremely bright for both schools, IMHO.  However, the only problem is that Georgia & Florida are also young & IMHO, they both look to be serious national title contenders next year.  So it isn't going to get any easier!!
I am right there with you guys...its so depressing.  I guess I felt like we got a freebee because OSU was supposed to "rebuild" this year and we were supposed to have that new freshman QB who ended up in trouble.  Oh well, maybe in a few years we will get it back together and show them all.  I thought sure we would win last night!  Better luck in the fall  :-\
 

farmboy

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 21, 2007
Messages
5,652
Location
south webster ohio
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ??? ??? ???

thats my reaction to the game,,

the frowns are ut oh
the mad is when he took out the punter
and the question is where WAS THE DEFENSE
 

TJ

Well-known member
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
2,036
itk said:
Where is the Big 12 love. We had four teams in the top ten and still don't get as much respect as other conferences. Being a KSU alumni I hate to say that KU and Mizzu were awefully good teams. Maybe KSU can turn its football program around here in the next few years but if not we can again say our basketball team is on the rise. If you haven't got a chance to see Micheal Beasley play yet you should. He is a absolute stud and will be the NBA's next star.

It didn't help that WVU spanked Oklahoma.  It also didn't help that Kansas played a VTech team that plays tremendous defense, but doesn't have a clue what an offense is.  And it didn't help that Missouri was left out of the BCS, although their victory over Arkansas was very impressive!!      But most of all, it didn't help that the SEC won 78% of it's bowl games, including both of it's BCS games in a convincing fashion, & the Big 12 only won 63% of their bowl games. 

But, I agree, Kansas & Missouri were the real deal this year.
 

itk

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2007
Messages
556
Location
KS
Watch this I can mess with numbers and make my argument look good to. ;D 40% of the AP top ten came from the Big 12 while only 20% came from the SEC.  Maybe we should both get into politics since we are both so good at manipulating the numbers to make ourselves look smarter then we actually are. If Mizzou wouldn't have got screwed over we might have had three teams in the BCS and a possibility of two BCS wins. They could have given Georgia a better game then those folks from the islands.
 

shortdawg

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 30, 2007
Messages
6,520
Location
Georgia
Thanks for the kudos on our win and our conference's bowl wins. 7-2 is pretty good in the bowls considering the quality of teams they were playing. Playing the numbers game is irrelevant b/c the last two years the SEC has reigned. (dog) Next year could be our turn again ................................. (dog)
 

TJ

Well-known member
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
2,036
itk said:
Watch this I can mess with numbers and make my argument look good to. ;D 40% of the AP top ten came from the Big 12 while only 20% came from the SEC.  Maybe we should both get into politics since we are both so good at manipulating the numbers to make ourselves look smarter then we actually are. If Mizzou wouldn't have got screwed over we might have had three teams in the BCS and a possibility of two BCS wins. They could have given Georgia a better game then those folks from the islands.

Since you want to talk numbers...

Why not start by explaining why you think that the previously UNDEFEATED "folks from the islands"  were any worse than the Big 12's own Kansas Jayhawks?  Both teams played a bunch of nobody's, IMHO.  However, Hawaii did beat 10-3 Boise State & 9-4 Fresno State, while Kansas only beat one good team all year in 11-3 Virginia Tech & they only won that game by 3 points!!  Both teams finished 12-1.  If anything, I think a case could be made for Hawaii!   Regardless of who is better, I don't think it's that much of a difference.  UGA would've spanked Kansas too!!  ;) 

Back to Kansas... they beat Virginia Tech 24-21.  However, LSU mauled that same Virginia Tech team by a score of 48-7!!  3 points verses 41 points!!  How's that for numbers?   ;D

Furthermore, while Kansas was whipping Florida International.  Kentucky was whipping Florida Atlantic.  Florida Atlantic actually won 8 games this year & guess what?  Florida Atlantic stomped Florida International... but, not only that.  Florida Atlantic & Kansas both scored 55 points against Florida International.  So, if Florida Atlantic & Kansas are somewhat similar & Kentucky whipped Florida Atlantic, that's just another feather in the SEC hat!   ;)

Going one step further... Kentucky played 8 bowl teams this year.  Kentucky played 11 teams that won 6 or more games & they played 12 teams (out of 13 opponents) that won 5 or more games.  Not only can Kansas not say that, but there isn't one team in the Big 12 who can say that!!   ;)

The SEC's bowl record was 7-2.  The Big 12's bowl record was 5-3.   ;)

Head to head bowl match ups...

Bama, the 9th or 10th best team in the SEC (depends if you go with a 6-6 Bama or a 6-6 South Carolina) beat the #7 team in the Big 12, Colorado. 

Missouri beat the 7th best SEC team (1. LSU, 2. Georgia, 3. UT, 4. UF, 5. Auburn, 6. Kentucky {same record, but they beat Arkansas & finished ranked higher} 7. Arkansas, 8. Miss St.  9 & 10 Bama or South Carolina).  That's still an impressive win for Missouri!!  However, I do wonder if Houston Nutt hadn't left for Ole Miss if Arkansas would've played with more passion.  Also, while it's a good win, it was the Big 12's best or 2nd best verses the 7th best in the SEC & that is a fact that can't be denied!! 

Furthermore... Out of 12 teams, the SEC had 10 bowl eligible teams & 1 team that fell 1 win short.  No other conference can say that because no other confernce is as good from top to bottom as the SEC.   When you realize just how good & how balanced the SEC actually was, it's hard to believe that 2 of it's teams would have records good enough to be the National Champs & the Runner Ups.   ;)

Most importantly of all, the SEC has back to back National Champs.  But, not only that this year they have the National Runner Ups, too!!   ;)

The only numbers on your side is the AP top 25 poll, but only if you just look @ the top 10.  You failed to mention that the SEC has 5 teams in the top 15 to only 4 for the Big 12.  You also fail to mention that the SEC had 8 teams receive votes in the AP poll, while the Big 12 only had 5 teams receive votes!!   But, the most impressive of all, is the fact that the SEC has 100% of the top 2!!   ;) 

Look the Big 12 is solid.  Missouri & Kansas are legit.  However, lets not confuse the Big 12 with the SEC & lets also not confuse Missouri & Kansas with LSU & Georgia.   ;)



 

TJ

Well-known member
Joined
May 15, 2007
Messages
2,036
Just to show what LSU accomplshed...

LSU played 10 bowl eligible teams!!  They played 8 teams that won 8 or more games!!  They finished with a 12-2 record & both losses were in multiple OT games. 

If that's not a National Champion resume, then I don't know what one is!! 


Just to show what UGA accomplished...

Georgia played 10 bowl eligble teams!! They played 8 teams that won 7 or more games.  They finished with an 11-2 record. 

If that's not a National Runner UP resume, then I don't know what one is!! 




 
 
Top