Cooking Corn vs. Temperature

Help Support Steer Planet:

DEA

For those of you who cook corn, when do you stop feeding cooked corn to save hair when the weather gets warm.  I had a guy tell me that a good standard of thought is when the weather reaches 70 degrees outside, you should stop feeding cooked corn if you want to have any hair at all?  Is this good advice? ?? ??? ????

shortyjock89

Yes..we stop feeding cooked corn a cottonseed hulls at the same time.  We switch to adding barley and wet beet pulp.

DEA

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Yes..we stop feeding cooked corn a cottonseed hulls at the same time.  We switch to adding barley and wet beet pulp.

When you switch to "adding barley" what is your corn/barley %?  Also, I am curious as to why you also drop the cottonseed hulls.  Thanks for the info. in advance.

shortyjock89

Well, it depends on the calf.  We don't show steers anymore, and we didn't need barley on any of the heifers this year, but we usually end up feeding about 3:2 corn to barley ratio, or sometimes it got to be 1:1...this is volume ratio mind you, I'm not exactly sure on weight ratios.  We drop the cottonseed hulls because they are a HOT feedstuff barley and beet pulp are both cooler feeds.