Cooking corn

Help Support Steer Planet:

CM Cattle

I heard that cooking corn is a crock pot will put fat on steers fast. I am wandering if this works, if corn is really the right stuff to use, how to cook it, what age and when to feed it, and how much. Ive got some calves that i really need to fatten up fast and heard this was a good way that wouldnt cost a ton of money. Thanks alot.

showjock09

It does put fat on. I had a WMW steer who wouldn't eat we started cooking corn and the butcher said he had the prettiest fat he'd ever seen.
Heres how we did it.

We bought it in the 50 lb bag. We had a big pot filled and boiled it and put it in  zip lock freezer bags and froze it. We woulld re heat a bag in the morning and feed one of those plastic scoops full of it at night. we started bumping it up a scoop every 5 days to a week.

I heard rolled barley works too? but i've never tryied it.

justintime

I have a feed cooker that holds about half a bag of corn. Add water and plug it in  and in 3 hours you have some beautiful feed. Personally I prefer cooking barley, as it doesn't get quite as sticky, but either corn or barley work good. The cattle almost go nuts over cooked feed. I would suggest you start the calves on dry feed and then slowly add the cooked grain. Mix it into the ration and I guarantee they will almost knock you over to get to it.

There used to be lots of these feed cookers around when I was a kid... which was a LONG time ago. I can remember lots of barns that had these things, which makes me think there must be some around yet. Like I said, ours would pass as being only a few years old. I would guess that our feed cooker is over 70 years old, but it looks almost new and works perfectly. I asked my dad where he got it from, and he said it was here before he bought the farm from my grandfather, which was in 1947. It has a baked enamel finish on the inside, which still shines when it is cleaned out. This is surrounded by oil that is heated by an element and once the feed is cooked, the oil will keep the feed very warm for at least 4 days.

Our farm was fortunate in that it received electricity earlier than many other places. I think electricity was brought into the farm in the mid 30s. Prior to that, my grandparents has their own power generator in the basement that produced enough power for the house.  Our home was built in 1925, and it was wired for electricity and indoor plumbing when it was built.

justintime

cook it until it is soft and swollen. You will be surprised by how much water it will absorb. Just make sure you don't let the cooker go dry while it is cooking. The smell of burnt grain really sticks with you, and if you were to do this in your home, it will stay for a long time.

CM Cattle

Thanks justintime. I didn't think it would swell up as much as it did. I went to the barn came back and it had flowed over the edge. lol Its done now, thanks for the help everyone.

Jill

We use a 32 ounce cup and put in 1 cup of corn and 2 cups of water cook it on low, dump the morning feeding out and put the night feeding in, it runs 24 hours a day, we just leave the crock pot in the barn.  We usually feed it to steers at the end when we are either trying to finish them quickly or just to put a more uniform finish on them.

BCCC

upthecreek said:
This may seem like a dumb question but do you use Whole or rolled corn?
We use cracked, it doesn't take near as long to cook compared to whole, but we still cook it for the same amount of time/

simtal

BCCC said:
upthecreek said:
This may seem like a dumb question but do you use Whole or rolled corn?
We use cracked, it doesn't take near as long to cook compared to whole, but we still cook it for the same amount of time/

If you use cracked that would be kind of like steam flaked, either way you probably gelantinize some starch