Cooking Corner

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Thought it might be fun to share some recipes for those of us that like to cook or even for those of us that don't!

Here is one for a Beef Stew that I like:
Hearty Beef Stew
Serves 6 to 8

If you’re going to be away from your slow cooker for more than 10 hours, cutting the vegetables into larger, 1 1/2- to 2-inch pieces will help them retain their texture.

5 pounds boneless beef chuck-eye roast , trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes 
Table salt and ground black pepper 
3 tablespoons vegetable oil 
4 medium onions , chopped fine 
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste 
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or beef broth 
3 tablespoons soy sauce 
1 pound carrots , peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces 
1 pound parsnips , peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces 
1 pound red potatoes , cut into 1-inch pieces 
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves   
2 bay leaves 
2 tablespoons Minute Tapioca 
2 cups frozen peas , thawed 

1. Dry beef with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add half of beef and brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to slow-cooker insert and repeat with remaining beef (you shouldn’t need more oil).

2. Add 1 tablespoon oil, onions, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to empty skillet and cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring well, for 2 minutes. Add broth and soy sauce, bring to simmer, and transfer to slow-cooker insert.

3. Toss carrots, parsnips, potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil in bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Wrap vegetables in foil packet that will fit in slow cooker. Stir bay leaves and tapioca into slow-cooker insert; set vegetable packet on top of beef.

4. Set slow cooker to high, cover, and cook for 6 to 7 hours. (Or cook on low for 10 to 11 hours.) Transfer vegetable packet to plate. Carefully open packet (watch for steam) and stir vegetables and juices into stew. Add remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and peas and let stand until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Make Ahead

You can do most of the prep for this recipe the night before the ingredients go into the slow cooker. Prepare the recipe through step 2 and refrigerate the browned beef and onion mixture in separate containers. In the morning, just transfer everything to the slow cooker and proceed with step 3. The cooking time will run to the high end of the ranges given in the recipe.

red

Skillet Lasagna
Serves 4 to 6

Meatloaf mix is a combination of ground beef, pork, and veal, sold pre-packaged in many supermarkets. If it's unavailable, use ground beef. Use a 12-inch nonstick skillet with a tight-fitting lid for this recipe.

1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes 
Water 
1 tablespoon olive oil 
1 medium onion , minced 
Table salt 
3 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 tablespoon) 
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
1 pound meatloaf mix 
10 curly-edged lasagna noodles , broken into 2-inch lengths 
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce 
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus 2 additional tablespoons 
Ground black pepper 
1 cup ricotta cheese 
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil   

1. Pour tomatoes with their juices into 1-quart liquid measuring cup. Add water until mixture measures 1 quart.

2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add ground meat and cook, breaking apart meat, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.

3. Scatter pasta over meat but do not stir. Pour diced tomatoes with juices and tomato sauce over pasta. Cover and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.

4. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Dot with heaping tablespoons ricotta, cover, and let stand off heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Serve.

cowz

Telos,
We know you are a great cook.  Share some of your kitchen wizardry with us!

red

This are my speciality for all family gatherings!

Crescent Rolls
2 packages active dry yeast
¾ cup warm water (105° to 115°)
½ cup sugar
1-teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 stick softened butter
4 cups flour
Melted butter

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in sugar, salt, eggs, butter and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in remaining flour until smooth. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1½ hours.

Divide dough in half; roll each half into 12-inch circle. Spread with melted butter; cut into 16 wedges. Roll up each wedge, beginning at large end. Place rolls with point under, on a greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise until double, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400°. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Brush rolls with melted butter.

32 rolls.

Telos

OK, OK. Just got home from the kitchen, so I'm going to take a deep breath and come up with something. Haven't followed a recipe in years and I don't bake much.
Most of my cooking is a little conceptual.  I generally hate reading recipes, but will  review one maybe two or three times to get a general idea of what I need
to have on hand as far as ingredients and what the dish actually should be. When I first started cooking in Restaurants, had to make two menu items from recipes every day in a classical French Restaurant and acquired a hate relationship with them, but it did teach me to be a pretty good cook and also taught me about the chemistry and physical properties of what food can and cannot do.

This was my chefs creation yesterday; Warmed Lentils And Rice  with Mixed Greens tossed in a Lemon- Mint Dressing and caramelized roasted onions.
It is one of the more popular specials at the Restaurant and not too time consuming. It can be served with a grilled chicken breast, but not necessary because
the lentils and rice offers a complete protein. Remember, the proportions might be off because I don't measure either.

This recipe has basically three components; 1) the lentils and rice pilaf 2) the tossed salad and 3) the caramelized onions.

Ingredients;  Lentils and Rice pilaf-

Brown Lentils
                      Brown Rice
                      Chicken broth low sodium in the cans will do

Mixed Leafy Greens with Lemon Mint Dressing-

Mixed lettuces Baby Spinach, Leaf, Arugula etc.
                    Juice from 4 or 5 lemons
                    Enough fresh peeled Garlic
                    Olive oil
                    Fresh or dried Peppermint
                    Salt and black Pepper

Caramelized Onions with Balsamic Vinegar-

4 large onions peeled and sliced lengthwise
                    Some Balsamic Vinegar
                    A little brown sugar

To make pilaf, bring the chicken stock to a boil then add about a half the amount of brown lentils to the stock. simmer until lentils are just getting tender then add about half the rice in proportion to the lentils and simmer covered under low heat for about 20 minutes. Set aside

For the Lemon-Mint dressing. Whisk the olive oil into the lemon juice. About 2 to 1 ratio. Add garlic, mint and salt and pepper.

For the onions. Toss onions with the vinegar and just a very little bit of brown sugar. Roast on a sheet pan @ 375degrees for about 45 minutes or until they start taking on a nice caramel color.

To assemble place the warm lentils on the plate, toss the salad with dressing put next to pilaf then sprinkle a generous amount of the caramelized onions on top of the whole dish.

red

These are one of the bars that I made for the expo. My nephew always requests them.

Cream Cheese Brownies
4 squares BAKER'S Unsweetened Baking Chocolate 
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter 
2-1/2 cups sugar, divided 
5 eggs, divided 
1-1/4 cups flour, divided 
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened 

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Line 13x9-inch baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Grease foil. 
MICROWAVE chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add 2 cups of the sugar; stir until well blended. Add 4 of the eggs; mix well. Stir in 1 cup of the flour until well blended. Spread batter into prepared pan. 
BEAT cream cheese, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, remaining egg and remaining 1/4 cup flour in same bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Spoon over brownie batter. Cut through cream cheese mixture with knife several times for marble effect. 
BAKE 35 to 40 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs. (Do not overbake.) Cool in pan on wire rack. Lift brownies from pan, using foil handles. Cut into 32 squares. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature. 

BAKERS_ONE_BOWL_Cream_Cheese_Brownies1.jpg

justme

OK you know we all have rounds steaks galour or sirloins in our freezer and were thinking what the h**l do we do with these.  THis is my grandmas recipe.  Simple, delicous, and people think you went to a lot of work lol

I take a round steak and cut it up in squares...you pick how big
then I brown it in a skillet with a stick of butter or margerin

while this is browning take your crock pot and put one envelope of each Lipton's beefy onion dry soup mis and Liptons beefy mushroom dry soup mix and put about 3 cups of  boiling water (you can add more later if you desire)in with the mix

when beef is brown add to soup mixture.  I like to add crushed pepper and garlic but not necessary its to your taste.  Let cook on high all day.  It smells wonderful!!! ;D

You can either serve this over noodles and make beef and noodles or serve with mashed potatoes.  Oddly people here in Missouri (remember I'm an Ohio girl originally) serve with both noodles and potatoes.  guess they need a few more carbs.

This is a family favorite and I love it because you get a great sit down meal and I don't have to do much!

Bon Appetit!

genes

WE do a really simple one with the round steak that is just cut up pieces with tomato soup, onion, salt and pepper in the oven.    Pretty simple.

Wow that recipe makes me look like a lame cook  ;D

red

genes said:
WE do a really simple one with the round steak that is just cut up pieces with tomato soup, onion, salt and pepper in the oven.    Pretty simple.

Wow that recipe makes me look like a lame cook  ;D

no sounds good! do you serve it over rice or noodles? I'd hate to ask if you put it over both noodle & potaoes or "justme" might send the carb police after me!!! (pop)
I have a roast I'm going to fix tonight. I brown it first, then put in a heavey pot. I usually put equal amounts of beef broth, chicken broth & a little red wine in it. Cover tightly. Simmer most of the afternoon on low. Add potaotes, carrots & onion the last hour.
Good comfort food!

Pouring down rain here. Thunder & lightning too. Blue heeler forced his way into the garage. He's chicken when it comes to any thunder. (dog) He actually beats on the door until he gets it open or I come & let him in. He was in the wet slop last night up to his belly. Stinks to high heaven!!

Red

cowz

Easter Dinner is coming up.  One of the things that is a family tradition is new red potatoes with fresh peas in a cream sauce.

To make the white sauce, melt a stick of real butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat.  Add a cup of flour, 1 tsp. salt and fresh ground pepper, stir with a flat wisk until an even paste forms.  Then add milk, a little at a time until you have the consistency you like.  Add cooked baby potatoes and steamed green peas.

This goes great with whatever meat you are serving.

genes

If only I had fresh baby potatoes. :(

Red I usually put the steak over potatoes.  My sister calls me a carb addict but I can't say I've ever had noodles AND potatoes in the same meal. 

red

try Chicken & noodles over mashed potaotes. Pure heaven!
Beef & noodles is good too.

Red

cowz

genes said:
If only I had fresh baby potatoes. :(

Red I usually put the steak over potatoes.   My sister calls me a carb addict but I can't say I've ever had noodles AND potatoes in the same meal. 

We dont see our own baby potatoes until July.....sometimes you just have to go to the store and pay the king's ransom for something good!

We get fresh peas in the garden by June!  Our border collie loves the garden and believe it or not she eats fresh peas!

red

Cowz- we love this for Easter dinner. Sometimes we tint the coconut green & add jelly beans to the top for a more festive look.

Hawaiian Dream Cake

Take 1 yellow cake mix & prepare as directed, in a 9 x 15 pan. As soon as cake is done, spread a large can of undrained crushed pineapple with juice on top of it. I use the unsweetened type. Cool in refrigerator.
Mix 1 box of instant vanilla pudding with 1 ½ cup of milk. Add 8 oz of softened cream cheese. Beat well. Spread this on the cooled cake. Top the cake with 1-8 oz carton of cool whip. Cover with coconut.
Keep in refrigerator.
Unbelievably good!!!