Cool Blue

Help Support Steer Planet:

[email protected]

This calf is out of a K-Kim Cow and is sired by Monopoly Money. At this time, We are not sure what we are going to do with him.  I can tell you that we will get a blood test done to make further decisions.  At that point we will ask ourselves would you breed to this bull if he was solid black.  We are very intrigued about the quality and the cool blue look he has.  His mother is a very femnine, long fronted cow that is real sound and milks as good as most shorthorns.

Attachments

• 2013-04-07_17.30.46.jpg
    2013-04-07_17.30.46.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 2013-04-07_17.32.45.jpg
    2013-04-07_17.32.45.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 200

Warrior10

Great looking calf. We had the same decision to make earlier this spring with a blue roan bull calf...we ended up steering him. Let us know what you end up deciding!

[email protected]

To be real honest, we don't know what she is.  Just a K-Kim cow.  After we get him tested then I will pursue that avenue too.    We bought her from Burke a couple of years ago.  Just a real nice shorthorn cow that produces good calves.  And she does it every time.

mark tenenbaum

Rainmaker sired as many blues as any bull I know of-and alot of them were deemed consistently pretty good-so it depends some on the way the dam is bred-If shes a Castlerock-I would have to agree with you sight unseen-for me he was a bust-and Ive never seen much out of him. O0

CAB

I think we'll have to wait and see on this one. To me in these pictures he looks to be quick made. Body length may be a little short & his cannon bone is short also. So unless he proves otherwise by growing well I would have a hard time using him. JMO & he is really too young to tell anything as of yet.

[email protected]

Thank you for your input.  That is what I wanted to read.  It will help in deciding wether to castrate or leave a bull. 

Our first decision is wether he is good enough to make a bull that people would use on their black cows to raise show steers.  Next question is wether he is good enough for me to use.  I may be tougher to please than most producers.  At this time he has the makings to could turn into a good bull.  His bone size is great.  Big footed and softer than most in his pasterns.  He sets his front feet down properly with heal touching first.  His hip is just huge for any calf and carries that width down to the stifle. He is long fronted which tells me his females could be very marketable.  His color is cool and will help sell semen and I dont really care if he throws that color.  It the quality of the calf that sells that is important.  Now if he is bred to a shorthorn then he might acutually get some shorthorn colored cattle.  Shorthorn steer producers might like that.  And if he gets a cool blue that would be good too.
I also like Monopoly money a lot.  My calves out of him sold easy and for lots of $$$$$.  Mine started out looking similar to this calf and developed into a very marketable animal.  both femals and males.  In this stage of his life he is just a bull calf that is cool colored.  His development will dictate his future.

Your input is recorded and appreciated.  It will help me decide the marketability of a cool black with blue frosting.