Cool Collar

Help Support Steer Planet:

smurf

Does anyone use a cool collar?  How do they work?  When do you put it on?  How long do you leave it on?

BCCC

Use them at shows when the calves are over heating form not being in the cooler all day

Dozer45

I didnt want to spend the $40 for one so I sewed my own cost about $15 to make

farmboy

seems to me you could take 2 big beach towels and sow them together and put a zipper or something at the ends. Then fill it with ice and keep it wet all day and it would work quite well. I'll try it out... O0

Dozer45

When I made mine I bought 2 yards of Canvas folded it in half so I could put icepacs in it and use velcro to keep it shut. I then sewed some flannel to one side so it would not rub the neck and sewed buckles to it so it can be buckled around the neck. I should take some pics and post em if I remember can be an easy one day project even for someone who had little sewing know-how

farmin female

I don't sew and have no desire to learn at this point in my life so we purchased one from Sullivans last year.  Used it daily through out the summer.  Left it in the freezer overnight, put in on the calves when we pulled them out of the cool barn and wet them down.  I think it kept the callf chilled a little longer.  I think it is a worthwhile product and we will be using it again this year.  My son thought it was great.  It's easy to use and relatively cheap.