cool collars

Help Support Steer Planet:

maineangus

I was wondering how well cool collars work? Also whether the Sullivan's Arctic Ice Pack or the Sullivan's Cool Collar works better? Thanks

Moezmom

This is the exact question I just logged on to post!!  Our county fair looks like it might have temps in the low 80's.  Would either of these collars help keep our steers more comfortable?

CANsteer

Both products are made for different settings. I forget the name of the blue collar, but it is more geared towards use at shows. It is made to be put in a cooler full of icy water, like you would have your beverages in at a show. The red cool collar is filled with jel like an ice pack, so it is supposed to be frozen when you use it. So if it's for use at home, get the red one or if it's for shows get the blue one.

Moezmom

Thanks for explaining the difference between the two. Do they work?  Is there something better for helping to keep them cool/comfortable?

Moezmom

Zach said:
I hear fans work pretty well
Wow would have never thought of that!  I'm asking specifically for in the grooming chute or while we are waiting outside the ring. We have fans for their stalls but the fitting area is so congested we can't use fans there. Obviously these don't work or someone would have posted singing their praises. I don't need sarcasm just opinions or advice.

CANsteer

Moezmom said:
Thanks for explaining the difference between the two. Do they work?  Is there something better for helping to keep them cool/comfortable?
idk if they work, i have never used either. one thing i have seen people do is have junky old towels cut into squares (like 1' x 1'), and they just keep them in a cooler. If i was to buy one, i would choose the red one. you could freeze it at home, then throw it in the cooler to keep it frozen longer until you need it at the show

The Show

I like the blue ones for the shows. Came in really handy at the fort worth jr show this year. It was up in the 60-70s this year and they don't allow fans at the jr show.

TDSCcdeck

When my calves are in the chute at a show I use the red one and leave it barely loose. Then every once in awhile I put a handfull of ice down in it to keep it cool since the coller won't last if you are fitting for a long time.

Latest posts