Cool room help

Help Support Steer Planet:

nck21

We are about ready to start building a cool room. A couple questions I have are:

1) How many BTU's should the air conditioner be for a 12'x12' room with a 12' high ceiling? Can there ever
be too many BTUs?

2) What is the best brand for a window a/c?

We are going to pour cement for the floor about 4 inches thick. We have a lean-to shed we are just going to insulate
with styrofoam insulation. It won't be airtight since we aren't going to insulate the side where they will come in and
out of. There is going to be a tarp on that side. I hope the 12'x12' room will be big enough for 2 calves.? Thanks

BCCC

nck21 said:
We are about ready to start building a cool room. A couple questions I have are:

1) How many BTU's should the air conditioner be for a 12'x12' room with a 12' high ceiling? Can there ever
be too many BTUs?

2) What is the best brand for a window a/c?

We are going to pour cement for the floor about 4 inches thick. We have a lean-to shed we are just going to insulate
with styrofoam insulation. It won't be airtight since we aren't going to insulate the side where they will come in and
out of. There is going to be a tarp on that side. I hope the 12'x12' room will be big enough for 2 calves.? Thanks

why a 12 foot ceiling??? I would have a celing at most 7 foot, also with you not insultaing that side wall your room \will be very inefficant, Why dont you just build a wall across the front, and insulate it, because if its just a tarp, it will be hard to get to stay up there, and will be hard to get the calves in on windy days.

You will need a few fans in there, and get the biggest cooler you can afford cuz it will take a bit

nck21

BCCC said:
why a 12 foot ceiling??? I would have a celing at most 7 foot, also with you not insultaing that side wall your room \will be very inefficant, Why dont you just build a wall across the front, and insulate it, because if its just a tarp, it will be hard to get to stay up there, and will be hard to get the calves in on windy days.

You will need a few fans in there, and get the biggest cooler you can afford cuz it will take a bit

I guessed on the ceiling and was wrong. It is 9 foot. I got a 12000 btu window a/c so I think that should do with a couple fans.

I also was wondering what kind of bedding is the best that is fairly cheap?? And does the Scizyme spray work to control ammonia? thanks

j3cattleco

Each calf puts off 5000 btu's of heat an hour, so to cool your room you will need to take that into account in order to reach your desired temp.