Cool Room Tips

Help Support Steer Planet:

6M Ranch

Going to build a cool room this winter.  Any tips would be appreciated.  How large, what size cooling unit, bedding, fresh air, etc.  Thinking large enough for 6 - 8 head.  What brushing, rinsing, feeding, watering protocols while they're in the room?  I've seen some people tie them up, let them run loose, or a combination of the two. 

KDSC

For bedding I would use mulch. I would let them run free in there, so they wont get too stiff. I think for 8 calves the room would need to be a 50x12. For a room that big I would say contact Cool calf, for one of their drop in units. even with a cooler room you still need to rince a couple times a day. I would say wash them then put tehm in the cooler and feed, and then water, and then water another 3 times while they are in the cooler, and at like 2pm wash them again, and then at 6pm feed them.

bullboy62

KDSC said:
For bedding I would use mulch. I would let them run free in there, so they wont get too stiff. I think for 8 calves the room would need to be a 50x12. For a room that big I would say contact Cool calf, for one of their drop in units. even with a cooler room you still need to rince a couple times a day. I would say wash them then put tehm in the cooler and feed, and then water, and then water another 3 times while they are in the cooler, and at like 2pm wash them again, and then at 6pm feed them.

bullboy62

I'm new here so you'll need patience.  I have a building that I'm thinking of remodeling for a cool room.
I am trying to check out if it is feesable to going into "custom calf cooling".  There are some smaller producers in the area that may want the service.
What would be a fair price per calf?  I know it is a lot of work. I have two kids who want summer jobs.  Or am I just plain nuts for even thinking of doing it?

KDSC

Its a good idea, it is hard work, how many calves doi you think your building can handle, or how big is your building??

bullboy62

It has two rooms 26x50.  It is a cement building with foot thick sandwitch walls with 6in of insulation. It was a farrowing barn. 
I'm guessing 8-10 calves/room.  The flooring is a major question to figure out.

KDSC

Oh ok, I would say you could get about 15 per room, each calf needs about 75 sq feet. But if I was you, I would mak e12x50 for the claes and then 12x50 for grroming chutes, fans, a wash bay, and everything else, so you can do everything inside the buildings, but if you are doing even 20 calves you are going to need some help. I sure hope you have a lot of fans, grooming chutes, and blowers ;D Where are you located?

bullboy62

I am in South Dakota.  We had -21 last week and +35 today.  What would you do with the floor?  There are gutters in the floor where the farrowing crates used to be.

KDSC

Ok well not sure how your hog house is set up but most have a vat does yours??? are the floors cement? are the gutter at the frotn or back of the farrowing crates? Sorry I just had a dumb moment if the hog house has gutters it isn tgoing to have a vat under the crates also :)))

bullboy62

The gutter is 4ft from the outside wall.  I was thinking of covering it with some kind of slats that would let the urine soak through but hold the bedding out.
I checked out Cool Calf that seems to be a good source of info.

KDSC

YEha I owuld use either mulch or maybe sand, I have seen a couple coolers with sand in them but dont know how that would work with a gutter. I would deffintaly add a wash rack inside one of those building