Cool Website

Help Support Steer Planet:

Do you have a vet that cheerfully does cattle work?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cowz

Until we can convince a vet to join our group, here is a safe place to get professional information for free!

www.merckvetmanual.com

red

cowz, I've used that site for a lot of information. It's a good website! :) Has videos of certain conditions & everything.

Red

Show Heifer

I for one really appreciate advice from sites such as this. I do not always have access to a vet, and sometimes just can't afford it. If it is something I can do for myself, I usually do and will!! And I am NEVER to old to learn!!
But I also realize the importance of a local vet!!! 

red

Maybe a vet, that has just joined would like to help out? Hint, hint! ::) ;)
It's exciting to see some good interaction taking place!
Red

DL

The absolute best thing a person can do is know their cows so you know when something is off and then the next best thing is to have a vet who when you say "I don't know what is wrong with ol' Bossie Doc, but she ain't right" - not only do they believe you, they come to help you. If you have such a vet better cherish them as food animal vets are more endangered than the Bald Eagle!

My vet is a wonderful human being, smart, always comes when I call her and really cares about my cows - of course they are her cows too and I talk to myself  ;D

I do however have a horse vet - figure if the ranch horse has issues I will need some help. He come out once a year to vaccinate my horse. If you expect your vet to get up in the middle of the night to help you, please give them the gravy work, it is good for the relationship and the critter. Another good thing is to ask your vet how to do things - how to give shot s (if you don't know), how to hit a vein, bleed a cow, give fluids to a calf etc If I teach you how to give fluids to a calf and you have a dehydrated calf - I feel comfortable that you know what you are doing and I can stay in a warm bed! - There are places (places with lots of cows) where vets are no longer doing ER work for non clients - can't blame them ( i sure don't want to get up in the middle of the night and go to a farm I have never been to to see cows I have never seen in facilities that may be marginal or worse to work on a cow that should have been seen days ago) ....OK enough ranting on my part - cool board looks like it will be fun - I will help as much as I can and try to be friendly and cheerful  ;)! DL

jason

My brother is a Vet and he is going to join the forums to answer questions soon.  He does small animal and large, but enjoys large animal work especially cattle.  He also raises show steers.

www.kochclubcalves.com

We are awaiting to get a better disclaimer of some sorts up in this forum before we offer any advice.  Legal mumbo jumbo.  I will get something worked up soon and he will step in to help out.  Also any other vets are welcome to jump in.