Cooler Room Temp

Help Support Steer Planet:

mainecattlemother

We just set up an air conditioner and coolbot in our old milker parlor and am inquiring about temp.  We just tried it out late this afternoon after installing and want to put the calves in tommorrow.  In about five minutes we had the ac unit down to 60 degrees.  Initially the instructions say it will take an hour or two to cool down to the 30's or 40's.  We initially set the unit to cool to 50 degrees but we could go as cold as 33 degrees.  We will have fans circulating as well.  What do you think we should have it set at?

Cattledog

I haven't had a cooler for years but I never cranked it below 50.  Also, you'll need to gradually increase the temperature as you get closer to the show.  Here in Illinois the heat and especially the humidity can be killer.....seriously!

Jill

You won't be able to judge that until you actually get the cattle in there, those cattle put out a tremendous amount of heat and what you think is really cold won't last long once you bring them in.  You'll just have to play with it.  We for the most part show heifers and don't like having them below 55 or 60 because we want them to last a lifetime.  I know people on the steers that will crank it on down to the 35-40 room temp.

mainecattlemother

Thanks for the comments keep them coming.  We actually did not start the cooler room today as we were at a animal science clinic all day but hope to start tommorrow.  Yes, we are planning to run fans to circulate the air a bit.  Hope this all works.  We were actually trying to find a restaurant cooler within our budget but could not find a big enough one in our price range so we thought we would try the coolbot thing.  Have heard from others that it works well.  We will have to see and will let all know when it is up and running for about a week.

CJC

Cattledog said:
Here in Illinois the heat and especially the humidity can be killer.....seriously!
You people up north crack me up when you talk about humidity. Come to the gulf coast if you want humidity. AND by the way I have worked in several states up north.

Cattledog

CJC said:
Cattledog said:
Here in Illinois the heat and especially the humidity can be killer.....seriously!
You people up north crack me up when you talk about humidity. Come to the gulf coast if you want humidity. AND by the way I have worked in several states up north.

Yep, nobody has it worse than you.

mainecattlemother

Update:  We have been running about 1 1/2 weeks and with the exception of two days we had 95+ degree temps and yes we mega humidity we were able to keep it at 50 degrees.  We still ranged from 54-56 on those two humid days.  I am happy with 50 as I do not want to get cooler sores as I have heard can happen.  Cheap investment and it seems to be working great.  Will update everyone after state fair.

tanbarkguy

Yeah we laugh our asses off at the southern states saying how cold the 30's are and how awful 1-4 inches of snow is. 

Mueller Show Cattle

Cattledog said:
CJC said:
Cattledog said:
Yep, nobody has it worse than you.
Maybe for the US, the southern states has nothing on the humidity there is in Guam, spent 2 years there in the military. Hotest and most humid place I have ever been and I have been alot of places in the military. Does not hep that Guam is almost rite on the equator, December still in the 100's everyday and what feels like 100 percent humidity. Longest 2 years of my life, live in a cool climate now in Wyoming were 95 and no humidity is HOT to me.