Cooler routines

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ohio1

This is my first year running a cooler, I have it at 45 degrees and my calves each in 12 by 10 pens. I have decent hair but not seeing much difference or maybe it's just me. I am rinsing in the room 2-5 times a day. They are in there from 5am to 10 and it really hasn't been to hot here at night. They've been in for 3 weeks now and have 43 days until show.

Tallcool1

This is my theory, right or wrong.

The first 3 weeks or so, you are really just getting the cattle to START the hair cycle.  They will let go of whatever hair they may have been hanging onto, and their bodies will tell them maybe they need to start thinking about growing a little hair.

At about a month, you will start to see growth on the top of their neck, and their tail.  From there it is a little like watching paint dry. 

When you get to 60 days, you will notice that their hair is going to start working better because the fresh hair will be fuzzy and thick.  They will have hair on the sides of their necks, on top of their grow bone, and really good stuff on the top half of their front legs.

The real fun comes between 60 and 120 days.  That is when the lower leg hair starts coming, their tail heads fill in, and they start getting more body to their coat.

You basically just have to put in your time and one day, there it is!

Don't get discouraged.

Quit rinsing them so much.  You will have their hair and hide so dry that their hair will break off faster than you can grow it!  It isn't possible to condition them enough to compensate for rinsing 5 times a day.  Rinse them once a day, for a lot longer.  Twice a day MAX. 

45 degrees is plenty cold enough!  We have ours set about 55 and I believe that is plenty cold enough. 

There is nothing wrong with letting them see a little sun light either.  Your schedule may be the reason you get them in at 5am.  We put ours in about 9 am.

Mainevent

I ran a cooler last summer in Texas and my routine was to feed them at 5 give them an hour to eat. I would get them up and under fans where I would wash/rinse depending on the day, dry and work hair. Walk them down to the cooler and they would stand for 4 hours. Usually they would be in the cooler no later than 10:30. They would be tied down for the remainder of the day. Then I wouldn't kick them out until dark. This worked well within a month I would say we had great hair growth. We had the cooler set on 40 which I am with Tall Cool that the temp doesn't need to be any lower than 50 cool air is a secondary cause of hair growth where the primary cause is light cycle in my opinion, with genetics playing another major secondary cause.

Latest posts