coolroom

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

ho wbig of a cool room woul di need for 4 1200 lb calves. and who builds the best. and how much would it cost

red

pigguy- go to http://www.coolcalf.com/ for most of your information. They are probably tops in the field.

Red

cowz

We converted an old 1940's era milk parlor into a great cool room using rigid insulation and one BIG Swamp cooler.  This cost us around $500 with used materials.  Just depends how much you want to spend.  Good luck!

afhm

Minimum 12'x12', 12'x16, or 16'x16' would be even better.  You can build the room yourself alot cheaper than you can buy a new one.  Just make the walls and roof real thick and fill them with insulation as full as possible.  You can also spray the inside wall with the spray insulation in addition to outting it in the walls.  Make sure you have a way for fresh air to get in, and a security  device that alerts you when the power goes off and or opens the door so air can get in.  Also put a fan or two in there to circulate the air and add a wind chill factor in there and leave it dark when you are not in there working them, even then try to use a little light as possible.

OH Breeder

If you decide to go down the cool room road, talk with someone who knows HVAC, or cooling etc. Cattle give off alot more heat than humans. That is figured when deciding space and type of cooling/cooler needed. We built our own 10 x 20 for two calves. Half is cooler half is wash rack. The walls are 2 x 6 with 3/4 plywood and R30 unsulation all the way around. If I could build it again, I would build it 12 x 36 or so. It is nice in winter to convert to heat.
The fumes build up quickly and you need proper ventilation. It becomes stagnet quickly and has to be cleaned daily.  We have four fans and a large AC unit. Keeps it 60 and below. They are in there til night fall and are rinsed and turned out side.

NHR

just install fans and misters and rinse 2 times per and use the rice root brush, thats all it takes. (of course genetics helps)

olsencattleco

hey pigguy-  a good rule of thumb for your calves in the cool room is 4 ft. per calf. Whether you plan to build the cool room yourself or are going to get someone to build one for you, I would get in contact with clendon gilbert at coolcalf. The guys at coolcalf are very helpful and will answer any questions for even if they know you are building one yourself. As anyone will say a coolroom is no substitute for rinsing and brushing. These still need to be done, but it certainly helps.

sawboss

I found a complete used unit on e-bay 8'x14' for $2000 delivered.  We just completed the slab that is sloped with a 4" drain that runs outside.  We covered the floor with stall mats and cedar mulch.  This helps keep the ammonia in control along with a fresh air system on a timer.  I think these units are more economical because of the resale value once you no longer need it.  Our unit will bring the temp down to 42 degrees.

red

that's what I was going to comment on Pigguy- what ever you do, make sure there is good drainage in the unit. Nothing worse that water standing in the cool room.
Do you rinse in yours?

Red

sawboss

I do not rinse inside, we have a 10'x16' wash rack outside the barn.  The drain allows the urine to escape, also when we remove the cedar mulch we wash it down with water and a product my Uncle developed that kills all bacteria and eliminates the ammonia smell.  This product is also sprayed on the cedar mulch daily to control the ammonia and dust.

red

sounds good- what is the name of the product Sawboss your uncle developed & can they buy it?

Red

sawboss

The product is called S-BAHN, he currently is trying to get marketed in the animal science division.  Has had Texas A&M, LSU and many others test it's uses.  It was tested in Europe and proven to eliminate avian flu, this is huge but the U.S.A. red tape is all about money.  I use it to cure pink eye, heal wounds and disinfect pens and feed equipment.  I will contact him to see if he wants to market it in this area and post a contact number later.  It comes in a liquid form and is administered by pump sprayers.  Human safe, has had the Dental Association test it to heal gum diseases.  Thanks for asking this may be an area that will help him getting on the market.

renegade

how does it work on pinkeye, as you know it's big in herefords.  I have been using teramiacine ointment(i know that not how u spell it) which was recommended but it doesn't work real quick, there are eye patches and things but i havent tried them.

bluegrass

Sawboss, I would like to check this stuff out. When do you expect it to be available? Are there any restrictions that prevent you from selling it now.

sawboss

The family owns most of the stock and my uncle owns the patent and complete manufacturing rights.  I will have info from him on availability.  We use a 20% solution on the pinkeye, I am not a chemist or vet, but I know it kills the bacteria and causes the tissue to regenerate itself through cell division.  It also acts as a topical antiseptic, works great on mosquito and ant bites.