Coon footed steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

steerbuff

Is there anything that can be done for a steer that is coon footed.  I've never heard the term before but it refers to a steer with really weak pasterns.  Any advice would help. Thanks

Gargan

Being coon footed is a compliment nowadays under 95% of judges. It means he has a great amount of flexibility his pasterns and set to his lower rear legs. I'd be happy if I were you.

shortyjock89

We once had a heifer that we were told was almost too sound to win as a baby, and she didn't do better than reserve division. As a big one, she won her division at Jr nationals, grand champion at state fair, and won her division at both NAILE  and NWSS. Don't sweat it.

steerbuff

Thanks for the advice.  We had one judge bury us for it.  Most of the time it hasn't been an issue.  Just wanted to make sure I didn't start heading off in the wrong direction and try to fix it.

Tallcool1

I understand that many judges use the term "coon footed" as a compliment, there can certainly be a point in which it is too much.

The easiest way to fix it is with fitting and hair.  When you have one that can move, and is structurally sound, then you can fit them about as straight as you want as long as you have a little hook in the pastern.

I can honestly say that I have seen a few that I thought were just way too much.

ai er

I know back in the '80's to early '90's, the hog guys all got caught up in "flex to the pastern".  "Coon-footed" pigs were always complimented.  Then as usual, the pendulum swung too far.  Pig's dewclaws were striking the ground because of so much flex.  So naturally they had to reign it in a little.