Copyright BW?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ausley Family Farms

Just wondering what everyone's experience has been with him? We have had some really good calves out of him this year so far, but he is far from a calving ease bull. We have had 2 heifers at 85 and 95 lbs and a bull calf at 100 lbs.  I figured with the OCC genetics behind him that he would be a light calver, but I guess that's what i get for assuming.

Thanks,
Ausley Family Farms

KMJCC

What kind of cows are your calves out of.  I just bred a sunseeker/strictly business heifer that is an absolute tank to him.  Hopefully it is my first calf that I AI'd myself so I hope I am not in for a mess.

CAB

This is just Mo on the bull. I saw him @ Hawkeye one week ago Sunday and could not believe that it was the same bull that is in the ad. Fairly plain bull. Would be in the bottom fourth of the bulls @ stud that day. A Duff bull that was there and looked real good was a 2 year old bull named Duff Generator out of new generation. Semex owns the bull. He is as deep and wide as you can make one although he is a smaller framed bull.

Here's a picture of Duff Generator's dam. I thought that you'd all like to see.

Attachments

• Generators Dam.jpg
    Generators Dam.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 451

nck21

The calves aren't very good. We had two last year out of heifers, had to pull one because he was backwards and the other was unassisted.

Show Heifer

I had a few last year. None this year.
Anything from 80-110 pounds. Out of angus cows.
Nothing to extraordinary. In fact, just calves.

I have semen if anyone is interested.

Mark H

Ausely Farms

Are we are talking about the heavily promoted bulls that is 15/16 Angus? If so I have a questions:  How can a grade bull get a birth weight EPD?  Is it an Angus EPD?  If it is Angus EPD  where did it come from?  How many calves of his own went to making that -4.2 birth weight EPD?
A few things to think about before proclaiming or promoting a bull as calving ease.

Ausley Family Farms

Yes we are talking about the 15/16 Angus bull. I think the BW EPD is coming from ASA. He is supposedly in the top 2% for the association. I agree completly that he should not be promoted as a calving ease sire, but by looking at his pedigree you would think he should be. We have had good calves out of him, but wouldn't use him on any heifers.

Thanks,
Ausley Family Farms

Jill

CAB said:
This is just Mo on the bull. I saw him @ Hawkeye one week ago Sunday and could not believe that it was the same bull that is in the ad. Fairly plain bull. Would be in the bottom fourth of the bulls @ stud that day. A Duff bull that was there and looked real good was a 2 year old bull named Duff Generator out of new generation. Semex owns the bull. He is as deep and wide as you can make one although he is a smaller framed bull.

Here's a picture of Duff Generator's dam. I thought that you'd all like to see.

That is one heck of a cow!

Mark H

The whole point is that he is a grade bull.  Neither him or any of the females in his background could have EPDs.  The bull is 15/16 Angus and 1/16 Irish Frisian from what I have heard so why would the ASA give him EPDs?  IF his -4.1 Birth Weight EPD was backed up by calves of his own he would be a calving ease bull  but I doubt this is the case.