Corgi Barking

Help Support Steer Planet:

doubled

How do you stop a corgi from barking, she barks alot and wont shut up

DL

justamom said:
How do you stop a corgi from barking, she barks alot and wont shut up

Dogs are not born knowing what their humans want - they need to be trained - not trying to be a wise guy here but telling them to shut up will actually in most cases do nothing but raise your blood pressure - pick a training method and try using it

there are no simple fixes - training a dog takes time, patience and consistency - one way that works is to train them to do something when they bark - ie dog barks instead of yelling at dog and punishing dog tell dog to sit (or something) and then praise/reward dog for sitting -

you can also use "clicker training" or a modification of it - every time dogs barks ask it to target - same idea - reward dog for doing the right thing

It isn't (IMHO) fair to blame the dog when the dog hasn't been trained to "live in polite society" - we aren't born knowing the rules and neither are our dogs

worthabit

I have just purchased a shock collar to train my blue heeler. I will let you know how it works but after one day it seems to be effective at both chasing and barking. I don't like using it too much though.

Show Dad

BIGTEX said:
Just beat him till he stops barking! ;)

Or bites the hand that feeds them. ;)

What ever you do don't give in to the bad behavior. I find that when our Corgi is barking it is for either attention to play with her or to give warning (like the mailman is about to ring the door bell). If it is the first I suggest at a time when the barking isn't taking place that you play with the dog. Try to make it a routine so she can get accustom to when. Can be more than one time a day. And of course a walk is always good too.

If it was the latter than say thank you pat her on the head and go answer the door.

JMHO :)
<alien>

DL

SD - you are right - I was thinking about that last night - I had a dog who was barking like crazy - the neighbor called to complain - interestingly the dog was barking as someone was stealing the neighbors boat...

You need to figure out why the dog is barking - then come up with a plan. Another way to do thie is to train the dog to bark on command and then stop barking on command - once you have them trained in that way, when they bark in what you perceive to be an annoying way they no the command to stop (hush, quiet, no bark whatever  ;)

kanshow

I agree with SD & DL...  identify what triggers her barking.  At our house, squirrels will set the corgis off at certain times.. not much we can do about that except try to shoo the squirrels away or put the dogs in the house where they can't see them.  This time of the year with the dropping walnuts, pecans, & acorns, the dogs are doing their darndest to keep our yard squirrel free - even if it means barking nonstop while the squirrel chucks at them from a distance just out of corgi reach.      Having said that.. this morning they all started barking & I looked out to see my daughter's pig rooting up the yard.  GOOD DOGS!!!   

Having said that, corgis can be yappers if not trained/brought up properly.  Some are worse than others - they bark as a passtime.  Bark collars will work on some but not all.  If you can catch it before it becomes a habit, a squirt bottle of water aimed at them right as they start the nonsense barking might work.  Don't let them get the chance to yap all day.  If they only bark outside, only let them out when you can be with them to correct it.  If they only bark when in a crate, sit in front of the crate with the squirt bottle and stop it.    If they bark at each other, change the situation..  Our old border collie will stand right out of the yard gate & all the corgis go nuts barking at him.  He can't hear so it doesn't bother him.     

Bawndoh

You can "interrupt" them by saying "No Noise, or "Be Quiet" to them louder than the dog is barking.  It shows them that you are dominant over them, and you are the pack leader.  If that does not work, I have used a simple childrens water gun and squirted them every time they start barking.  That has worked on my Miniature Pinscher.  You have to catch them right at the beginning of the barking, not after 10 barks.  You should catch them when they are at a "level 1" of barking, before it escalades to a level 9 or 10 in intensity.  It is easier to correct them when they are just getting the urg to bark, versus when they are full force into it.  This has worked very well on my Min Pin and he rarely barks.  He will bark a bit at strangers or strange things, but I think that is healthy to an extent. 

DL

I guess in some senses it depends on your philosophy - of dog training and actually or your relationship with animals. I prefer to teach them (dogs, cattle or horses - probably goats, chickens, sheep etc but I don't have any of them) what I want them to do rather than punishing them for things I don't want them to do, particularly when what they are doing is dogs being dogs and they have no clue why the human is acting like a raving lunatic :eek: :eek:

Show Dad

DL I agree with you. Not to pass judgement but I figure it that if I need a shock collar then either I don't have enough time or patients to do it right. Either way why should the dog pay for my problem. <alien>

kanshow

There are DNA tests available for DM, vWD, and fluff factoring...   

I agree with SD on using a shock collar.  There are other ways of redirecting.  The most important thing is not allowing the barking to become incessant or a habit to begin with.       

Did her breeder give you any clue on how to stop or prevent the barking? 

doubled

We have not talked to the breeder, thats an idea-  she is still a pup and on the hyper active side- the other corgi the guys have is very well behaved, she however does not
respond very well to training, she just runs runs runs and barks barks barks, she minds the simple commands, sit and thats about it,  the guys are running out of patience with her,
she barks in the pen, she barks out of the pen, she barks terrible at the lawn mower, she barks at the 4-wheeler, she barks period.  Im gonna take her home here with me, where there
arent as many distractions, where is quieter and see how I do with her, 1st thing Im gonna do is put a training collar on her when I work with her.  She does not respond well to yelling
either and is very head strong.  She is like 9 months old I believe, close to a year.  She is otherwise the sweetest happiest little dog, just a pain in the butt.  I will follow alot of the
suggestions you have all given (EXCEPT THE SHOOTING PART AND THE YELLING PART) (argue) - I will keep you posted I sure am gonna have more questions Im sure in the following
weeks, I was just wondering of they are mostly on the hyper side. She sneeks out and chases the mules (got kicked hard the other day) and rounds up the cattle on her own so
she has to stay in her pen alot cause they cant trust her alone. In other words she is a naughty girl most of the time.

DL

Cows are herd animals - dogs are pack animals - not exactly sure but from your description it sounds like she spends most of her day in a pen - alone - with some guys? running out of patience (family? hands?) - and since you are going to take her home I guess I am not sure where she lives or who she belongs to - she is a baby dog - a puppy who apparently is expected to sit alone in a pen and be quiet - maybe her barking is an attempt to tell you that as an active herding dog of a young age she needs a life -maybe the reason you thought the other corgis the guys had were well behaved is because they had a life. Not trying to be a wise guy but this doesn't sound like an idea situation.

Corgis like most herding breeds are smart and quick to learn and like to be part of a family. This dog needs exercise, training, and consistency - it sounds like she is expected to behave like a star but has never been given the tools. If you say she doesn't respond to training then I would suggest you haven't found the right way to train her -

kanshow

I think by taking her home and spending one on one time with her, you'll have more success in training.    Corgis are independent thinkers, the bitches more so than the dogs.  This is why I almost NEVER place a female in a home with little to no experience with corgis or obedience training.  There is a reason you don't see many corgis excelling in the obedience ring vs a breed like the Golden Retriever, etc.    Corgis do not respond well to the rigid training methods that a lot of breeds do.  They were bred to be a multi-purpose farm dog - not soley a herder but a ratter and dog that sets off an alarm when strangers are about. 

doubled

DL said:
Cows are herd animals - dogs are pack animals - not exactly sure but from your description it sounds like she spends most of her day in a pen - alone - with some guys? running out of patience (family? hands?) - and since you are going to take her home I guess I am not sure where she lives or who she belongs to - she is a baby dog - a puppy who apparently is expected to sit alone in a pen and be quiet - maybe her barking is an attempt to tell you that as an active herding dog of a young age she needs a life -maybe the reason you thought the other corgis the guys had were well behaved is because they had a life. Not trying to be a wise guy but this doesn't sound like an idea situation.

Corgis like most herding breeds are smart and quick to learn and like to be part of a family. This dog needs exercise, training, and consistency - it sounds like she is expected to behave like a star but has never been given the tools. If you say she doesn't respond to training then I would suggest you haven't found the right way to train her -

Sorry I wasnt clear, most people on here know my guys (my sons) they live like 20 miles from me- and she does not spend the whole day in her pen, only when she is naughty,
which true is alot, they started out talking her with them everywhere but when you are grooming and showing animals its hard to do when a dog barks all the time, they still take her
with them when they travel and when they go to town but have to put her in the pen when they dont take her with them, cause she is naughty, they live on a dead end road - she does not
chase cars thank goodness, the kids know the dogs bark some, but she is pretty insistant- The other corgi is the same age as Dakota, so the dogs have been raised together mostly, he is
maybe a month older than her, they guys do work at spending time with them, the dogs sleep in the house with the guys too at night- but Dakota like I said is just naughty-
I agree we have not found the right way to train her that is one reason Im gonna take her for awhile, something worked at the kids house cause the male like I said is well behaved and both
dogs have been raised and trained together.  Im sure her barking in her pen is cause she is unhappy but she still does it when she is loose and with the boys- seems like all the time. We will keep trying, and thanks for your input.

DL

You may be able to find a book that helps or at least gives you some ideas - Carol Lea Benjamin has written a bunch of common sense dog training/issue books (including "Surviving Your Dogs Adolescence) that could help you. Barbara Handler has written a couple of good books. Karen Pryor wrote "Don't Shoot the Dog" which actually has more to do with shaping behavior than dogs but is the basis of the "clicker training" method that she used when training dolphins. This could work well for this dog who from your description appears to be lonely/unhappy but sweet and willing to please - I'll see if I can find some of the clicker training dog book titles - it is (IMHO) a fun way to train critters - good luck