Corgi people- how to handle sheding?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

OK, love woody to death but he is starting to shed. I know this is normal but how do you handle it without putting him outside? I brush & comb him about 3 times a day but the hubby was covered yesterday. It's on the dinning room table, on the chairs & couch & just about everywhere. do bathes help?

HELP! a corgi mom  (dog) (dog) (dog) :)))

Red

kanshow

Red, is it coming out in clumps like a dandelion or is it just loose hair?  There is always a certain amount of loose hair that just comes out and gets on stuff - that's just a corgi for ya.    If it is clumping out then, its the real coat blow and is a mess.  I have a rubber rake - looks like a highly modified scotch comb - that I use to get as much out as I can.  I go back and forth - really get in there and work the coat out because for everything you see that is loose, there is way more that you don't see that is just waiting to come out.  Then I bathe in the warmest water tolerable - make sure to protect your drain from all the hair.  Then I blow them dry with a dryer - my dog dryer is a lot like our cattle dryers, maybe not quite as powerful so I'd think you could use the cattle blower..  Blow a dog just like a calf... you want to lift and separate the hair.  You might have to repeat that in a day or so but within the week, you should have all the old coat out and he'll be back to his beautiful self.

red

It's just loose hair but lots of it!
I have a comb similar to the one you use. Not sure he'd stand for being blown out.
One of his new tricks is dropping his toys into my bath. I guess he thinks I need something to play with (NO comments on that one guys!). I think I'll give him a bath this morning. I have to wash the paws almost every time he goes out because the snow is meling & there is mud everywhere.
Whe do they typically have a full blown hair loss?

Red

kanshow

Red, He's young, he'd be pretty easy to train to stand up on a table so you can blow him out.  For me that is the key in getting out a lot of loose hair. 

I bet he is getting ready to blow his coat...  The first big blow is somewhere around a year old.. maybe a little less than that.  Then once a year - sometimes twice - depends a lot of food & weather & the god of corgi hair. 

One sure way for me to get a dog to blow a coat is to enter them in a series of shows - because dog show entries go in almost 3 weeks prior to the show.  I sent my newest star out with a handler.  She was to be out 3 weekends.. so I heard that when they started to groom her last Thursday for her first show  hair was coming out in handfuls.  So I'm going after her today... 

Jill

Check with your vet or vet supply, we bought a shedder tool called a FURminator that works wonderful. 

kanshow

My mom uses her Dyson Vacuum on their corgi.  It started out as a game and now its how she keeps on top of corgi hair. 

fluffer

Red,
You may just take him to a groomer every now and then.  Don't know how much that will help though.

Also, what do you feed him? I hear Iams or Eukanuba is pretty good for their hair.  But for the most part, that is just part of it  :(

I like Bouviers because they have hair, not fur.  You have to pull their hair out, it doesn't fall out.  But you have to get them groomed b/c their hair gets long.  They are also a big dog.

Good luck
Fluffer  (dog)

Jill

He won't shed all the time, only this time of year, once you get the winter hair off you'll be in good shape.

justme

Our vet used the Furmanator on Stitch and wow was it great.  I'm checking ebay for one.  My vet wants $49.99 for it and I'm cheap.  Woody's sister is shedding bad too...its coat shedding time, must mean spring is coming! (dog)

I use this stuff called shed stop it has a pic. of a corgi on it and it works good you just put it on there feed as a topdress. i have had 4 corgis and I have used it on all of them.

common sense

Corgi's just shed their coats.  It's normal and you will have to work with it when it happens.  I would use a grill brick, a wire dog brush and your calf blower.  I used to have a white german shepherd and she would blow her coat about twice a year.  It was hilarious because it was like a snow storm coming out of the barn.  She LOVED to have that dead hair blown out and would turn and roll over so I could get every spot.  Just go slow at first so that he doesn't freak out!

red

the best thing I've found is baths! I have been giving him one or two a week. The hair has really come out. I also rinsed him in vinegar to make sure I got all the soap out The hubby commented last night he smelled ( the dog not hubby). I can't imagine why- he's just been eating calf poop!  :p Of course the heeler thinks afterbirth is the best!  :eek: ::)

red

I bought a shedding brush at WalMart called the fur Buster. It has a blade on it. Really get's that hair out. cost was right at $20.00

Red