Corn plantings in the Ozarks (non-cattle related)

Help Support Steer Planet:

garybob

How many of you guys in hilly, rocky, red-clay counties in the Ozarks or Appalachia are seeing small acreages of Corn growing again, in the same patches our great-Grandparents put into pasture or hay 60 years ago? Carroll County, Arkansas has round-up -ready corn planted in 5 to 50-acre creek-bottoms and hill-tops. County Agent says there's one place with over 100 acres of it down on Yocum Creek.

I think it's going to be put up as Silage by 99% of the folks who planted it.

GB

kanshow

I wonder if that is where all that extra corn came from on the USDA report that came out yesterday..    j/k.. it was probably just increased yield.

garybob

kanshow said:
I wonder if that is where all that extra corn came from on the USDA report that came out yesterday..     j/k.. it was probably just increased yield.
Smartypants! That's my point. People in more places, even places you wouldn't expect, are plowing up gravelly creek bottoms, and planting field corn.

GB

kanshow

I'm confused by the reports and even more confused as to where they get any validity - more on that later...

Last winter & early spring, all the 'know-it-alls' could talk about was how much less corn would be planted and all those acres would go to beans. They cited high input costs, low end price & all that as the reason..    So at corn planting time at least in our area corn went in like always, I can't say there is any less acreage than normal or more beans than normal.   There was a lot less wheat planted last fall due to weather circumstances and that may have freed up some acres to go to corn.    

So how do they put together these reports??   The state FSA & other agencies put together a weekly report and that gets consolidated.  The data gathered..  Oh so accurately..  some of it comes from the CED in local county FSA offices GUESSTIMATES acreages/yields/crop conditions based on ???  without ever leaving the office or even making calls to farmers in outlying areas that would have a better idea. I've also answered the phone when USDA calls  for their crop surveys... I tell them that hubby is the one who knows but isn't there..  they don't care so much if I know or not, they just want a number to put into the blank.   So I guess.     These reports are a JOKE...  truely.  

ETA:  Forgot to say that after that very bearish for corn report came out yesterday, the corn market shouldv'e gone down but it closed up yesterday.  Overnights were up so the trend for today was expected higher.. it's down 4 right now. 

aj

I think the price of corn is going to tank especially next year. I think wheat will follow. I had already priced 60% of next years wheat crop and it is now down over a buck. Out here in gods country we have had 14 inches of precip...bout twice as last year. Had some excellent dryland corn  but a nasty hail storm smoked alot of corn in Goodland area. Maybe cattle prices will come back up.

DLD

There is definitely getting to be more planted in this part of the country than I can ever remember.  Still not alot compared to more traditional growing regions, but it is here.  Like GB, I expect almost all of it around here will be going to silage.

Speaking of which, I think there's more silage of all kinds being put up around here than I can remember, too...

garybob

I might add, that most of it looks as good as Midwestern Corn ( albeit August hasn't really 'kicked in' to high gear, yet), but one place looks like drought-stressed Johnsongrass.

GB

Latest posts