Corn vs. Barley Base

Help Support Steer Planet:

DEA

How many use barley as their base?  To keep hair growth in hot weather and keep calves on feed, does barley help this over corn since corn is such a hot energy provider?  WHat type of success have you had finishing steers with barley base instead of corn base.  I had a friend tell me they were using cattle blaster??? from umbargers to help finish with a barley base?  Does this work?

knabe

and what about taste of said animals on each feed?  what feeds are a detriment to taste that are routinely used?

cattlejunky

We use a barley base to finish our steers.  We show spring borns and start feeding the barley end of May or first of June for fair in July.  As far as taste for the calf they all seem to like it.  Taste in meat we have no complaints.  I know barley is not as hot as corn base.  I think the barley puts a nice finish on them.  Obviously, I am not the master on this subject.  We also mix the barley base with corn base on some occasions for calves that need a the extra weight.

steermaker

We have been using barley in place of some of the corn in our finishing ration for the last four years.  It is expensive but we have had a fair amount of success with it.  It does help keep hair on the show calves and I think provides somewhat of a "smoother" finish on the steers.  The other problem is finding it here in NY.  Up until this year we had to specia order the barley and mix it in with our feed at home, but now have a feed dealer who is mixing right in with our other ingredients at the mill.

Joe Boy

Both feeds are close in TDN...energy ... corn is first.

In protein barley is higher.

I like both and prefer for it to be rolled.  I have a roller and it really works well on them.

Some here use steam rolled to cut down on the dust but I do not have such.

Barley seems to give a better finish but that all depends on the animal.  Some will get that softer finish on corn while others bloom with barley...  so, I probably have not been of much help.  This is my experience and not scientific.

Best of luck.