Cost of recips

Help Support Steer Planet:

creativecattle

Just got done talking with the people that have been doing our embryo work for the past two years, and also talked with a potential new place to get recips from. Looks like the cost is going up. Was quoted $2050 from one place and $2200 from the other for pregnant recips.

WJ Farms

I got a guy in Texas that has been selling bred reciepts for 1700-1850

obie105

Are those your eggs?? We put embryos in a coop herd and it was $50 per egg to put in and then $150 for every cow settled then $1200 to pick up the calf at weaning.

frostback

I think you are describing two different protocols Obie. Crystal puts her eggs in someone else cows then buys the ones that are pregnant and takes them home to calve herself.  You buy the calf after weaning.

Mueller Show Cattle

frostback said:
I think you are describing two different protocols Obie. Crystal puts her eggs in someone else cows then buys the ones that are pregnant and takes them home to calve herself.  You buy the calf after weaning.
Not trying to hyjack this post just wanting to ask Frostback a question as it deals with this. Do you know of anyone in the Fort Collins or Denver area that does these different protocols with embryo transfer. I know of a guy who is good up in Cody Wyoming which is 4 hours from me. I can be in Fort Collins in 3 hours and Denver under 4 hours. I want to take one of my donor cows to get flushed and implanted into their recips to either buy my calves back at weaning (which I prefer) or if they don't do that, buy the pregnant recips. I know the guy in Cody is very good at what he does but he is full already as his recips are already accounted for with other people's embryos this coming spring. I want to have my donor flushed and so many embryos implanted in their recips and freeze any remaining embryos. 

creativecattle

WJ Farms said:
I got a guy in Texas that has been selling bred reciepts for 1700-1850

Thanks for the info. I think we'll do a little shopping around, but Texas is a little too far from Iowa. The place we have used in the past Cross Country Genetics have sent us really good cows the past two years. There has only been one with a bad attitude and she'll still make us a pretty penny when she goes to the sale barn.

cpubarn

I watched bred heifers sell from $1500-$2300 yesterday at the sale barn in Tama, Iowa.

Your pregnant recips at $2050 to $2200 would jive with that....

mark

Sly

looking for a coop herd here in oklahoma if any one knows of one. Thanks

BadgerFan

This fall I paid $1600 for a 75 day pregnancy plus all implant expenses and I supplied the eggs.  Cows are a little small and were thinner than I like them when I got them.  He got 2 out of 5 to stick (small numbers and a drought summer so I can't really complain).  I think you get what you pay for to some degree.

frostback

Big M Show Cattle said:
frostback said:
Not trying to hyjack this post just wanting to ask Frostback a question as it deals with this. Do you know of anyone in the Fort Collins or Denver area that does these different protocols with embryo transfer. I know of a guy who is good up in Cody Wyoming which is 4 hours from me. I can be in Fort Collins in 3 hours and Denver under 4 hours. I want to take one of my donor cows to get flushed and implanted into their recips to either buy my calves back at weaning (which I prefer) or if they don't do that, buy the pregnant recips. I know the guy in Cody is very good at what he does but he is full already as his recips are already accounted for with other people's embryos this coming spring. I want to have my donor flushed and so many embryos implanted in their recips and freeze any remaining embryos. 

Nope, wish I did though. I need some embryos in cows and not in my tank.

obie105

Our coop herd I think if you send the embryos he will put them in if you ship him the eggs. Its in southern Iowa. Little far I know but might be worth a shot.

ploughshare

My ET vet charges the client $2300 for a 60 day pregnancy.  Client supplies embryo and pays implant fees.  He will market reproductively sound, open cows as recipients and pays the seller the $2300.  This is a great way to market the decent but "just a cow" cows.

Davis Shorthorns

I believe sun valley in Salina, ks is a bit cheaper.  I have to get ahold of them anyways ill ask for ya.  Only about a hr past cross country.  Also if it means anything im only 20 min from cross country and i drive over a hr to use Sun Valley.

J2F

What do you guys do with the receipts after they calve?

obie105

My friend that has his own recips keeps them around year after year to use.  Some just go to the sale barn its just up to the operation I think. My friend likes to buy fall calving pairs so he can see their attitude and how they milk. Then he has feeder calves to sell for income on them then he sets them up for January embryos. Its working very well for him. Then he will use them again if their was no problems with them.

crown33

Paying over $2000 for a pregnant recip really isn't that expensive if you really look at it. The embryo place has to buy the open cow and feed her for a while till they usually put the embryo in her. They have to do all the heat watching and preg checking on them to make sure they are bred. They then keep them around till they are 60-90 days bred and preg check them again and then the buyer can pick them up.The embryo centers aren't really making a whole lot of money on these cows when you take into count the feed expense to keep them around, everything that goes into putting the embryo in and the cost of labor for them. All the buyer has to do is pick the cow up. If a person can't afford to pay that much for a pregnant recip then you might be in the wrong business, because those embryo calves should be something that you can sell for pretty good money and make your money back easy. Then you have a cow left over that you can breed, put an embryo in or sell. I think if you look at the big picture that really is pretty cheap.