countdown to new calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

We've got less than 3 weeks before we have our first calf on the ground.
Then for some unknown reason we don't start back up until February.

Anyone else brave enough to admit they'll be having babies ini 2008 instead of 2009?

justme

None here until end of Feb. beginning of March.  To much ice on the hills here to be brave enough to go Dec. babies.  Plus its hard to sell one that old to 4-Her's here.

kanshow

Our heifers start calving mid January & the cows start mid February.    We are looking forward to the calves - like opening Christmas presents, but we sure aren't looking forward to calving season and all the work it brings. 

GLZ

I pretty much have all March and April calves. 

I have always wondered the justification for January calves.  I hate watching heifers when it is below 0.

OH Breeder

1- January 10 Final Solution x Hope/Red Knight
1 - Feb 6 Diamond Leggs 21 x Direct Hit/Mr. Corrector
1 - Feb10 Diamond Leggs 21 x SS Kaboom/Ar Su Lu Jiffy
2 - March 17 Double Vision x LIttle Cedar QUantum Gal ET
6 - March 29  Final Solution x 2
                                  Bylalnd CIndy Beauty
                                  Ar Su LU Matrix
                      Amazon x Who Made Who/Angus
                      Shockwave x Mossy Oak/Stony ChiAng
                      Jack's Proud Jazz x CF Primo
                      Heat Wave x Kadabara/Glitter

then we are done!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah

farmboy

sometime in february is when our ai calves will be here. im not sure when the herd bull got ours, he got them early though.

ShowmanQ

OH Breeder said:
1- January 10 Final Solution x Hope/Red Knight
1 - Feb 6 Diamond Leggs 21 x Direct Hit/Mr. Corrector
1 - Feb10 Diamond Leggs 21 x SS Kaboom/Ar Su Lu Jiffy
2 - March 17 Double Vision x LIttle Cedar QUantum Gal ET
6 - March 29  Final Solution x 2
                                  Bylalnd CIndy Beauty
                                  Ar Su LU Matrix
                      Amazon x Who Made Who/Angus
                      Shockwave x Mossy Oak/Stony ChiAng
                      Jack's Proud Jazz x CF Primo
                      Heat Wave x Kadabara/Glitter

then we are done!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah

Give me a call when you have the Double Vision X Quantum Gal. Might be able to form a line of lookers if it is a heifer. Did you have the calf sexed by any chance?

kanshow

We start in January because of workload distribution.   Also, we'd rather deal with cold than the wetter later weather.   We set the heifers up to start 20-30 days ahead of the cows so that they'll breed back when the cows breed.  

ShowmanQ

Our first calf is due Feb. 23. Definately the one we are anxiously awaiting. Calf is going to be out of Eastern Sky Conductor out of one of last years show heifers  (a WHR Romeo X a Trump daughter from Malinda.)
The calf will have 3 shots of Trump with the remaining shot being from SPIKE. For that reason alone, people will either love or hate the calf's pedigree, but needless to say, we are stoked (clapping)

Dusty

StillLearning said:
I pretty much have all March and April calves. 

I have always wondered the justification for January calves.  I hate watching heifers when it is below 0.

Jan-Feb-Mar calving is nice if you also farm a lot of row crop that way you aren't babysitting cows when you need to be planting corn in april.  Oh and FYI, there are a lot of March born club calves that were calved with a foot of snow on the ground if you know what I mean. 

Davis Shorthorns

we are feb-April then we have one that is going to be out of sync because she got cystic she will be in Aug-Sept

shortyjock89

We start again in February with one calf..... Magic Man x Kool...we're pretty excited about it because if the calf is good, this is a possible Cow/Calf for Jr. Nationals.

In March, we should have some more Magic Man calves out of a couple Waukaru- bred females, and a couple Perfect Timing calves..

April we'll have a few more Perfect Timing's, and maybe a Magic Man (don't know if he got her or AI did..)

In May we should have a Ace of Diamonds x Sonny.....this is the most anticipated calf born on our place...a 3/4 sib to all those good calves that Vogel's have had...if the calf is good, we will be flushing to him as well as a more "clubby" bull, possibly Perfect Timing again.

Malinda

Showman Q,

I have to defend my girl's honor....you forgot DZ will be a grandma to your baby! I can also vouch for the maternal traits of the other granny.

Hope you get a heifer. With the Spike udders and DZ's udder you would have a win win.

Good luck,

Malinda

ShowmanQ

Malinda said:
Showman Q,

I have to defend my girl's honor....you forgot DZ will be a grandma to your baby! I can also vouch for the maternal traits of the other granny.

Hope you get a heifer. With the Spike udders and DZ's udder you would have a win win.

Good luck,

Malinda

OH Malinda,
You know I could never forget that I am going to have a calf with DZ blood in it. My comment about loving or hating the pedigree was aimed mainly at the breeders that simply either LOVE Trump and everything he has done for the breed, and unfortunately there are also breeders that have no use for the old boy (for whatever reason.) I personally cannot wait for a live calf, regardless of sex. I too am hoping for a heifer for the reasons you gave, should be a maternal factory one would think. If this clicks, any chance on getting some Phenom semen?

LazyGLowlines

Just had (2) calves last Tuesday, one more due around Dec. 20th. Then we'll be done for 2008!

Doc

1st due Jan.3rd- CF Primo x  S Sugar N Spice (ET)
  Then Bloodstone x GCC Fool Pride (ET) 2 of those
  Then Bloodstone x ARH Ruby (ET)
  Then Pa Do Boxer x Irish Mist / Scarlet O'Hare
  Then Lucky Strike x Pacer/ Fool 88 (ET)

That's it for the spring. Had bull problems,now  I've ended up with a bunch of fall calvers .

aj

We will start calving late Feb. Will have 35 durham red type calves and about 40 purebred Shorthorns this spring. My bull Sodhouse Little Man got in a bull fight this fall and got stifled so this is his last calf crop. Should have 40 by him. I love his daughters. Funny how sometimes a bull isn't appreciated untill he is say 6 years old and his daughters come into full production. The neighbors Angus bull did it(dads).Dang I hate when that happens. :-\