countdown to new calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

RSC

3 Habanero X Whitney After the 1st of the Year
1 Jazz X Whitney Late March
1 Whiskey X Whitney
2 Eye Candy X Whitney Late March
2 Full Sib to Dr Business, early March-  Much anticipated do to his early passing!
Naughty Pine x 065(Signal Grand Daughter)- early March
All the herd bull calves- Spanky II (Windsor/Kodiak) March

RSC

red

I've found for us the worst weather has been the first week of February.

Red

kanshow

I agree Red, on a typical year, we have better weather in January than in February & later.   

ROMAX

First cow is due Feb 28  heifers were A.I.ed and due April 11 and 12.We synched the heifers and bred them twice first day angus second day hereford,so it will be like opening christmas presents seeing what comes out either solid black or with a white face.

Malinda

ShowmanQ,

You wanted to know if Conductor 'clicks' if you could get Phenom semen. Yes, Phenom semen is available. But, my only comment would be if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If Conductor works, keep using him.

Not trying to lose a semen sale, just keep doing things that work. That is why I have those three generation cow families around here.

Let me know what you get. Unless Jupiter is not aligned with Mars or SD is on the prowl in Ohio, that calf should be little, lively, on the teat in less than an hour and grow like a weed. Think 74 # roan heifer!

Malinda

Endless Meadows

I'll fess up and admit that I am one of the few that have no use for the trump line in the cattle that I keep.  Nothing against the bull himself, because he has made quite a mark on the breed and his showring success is undeniable.  From my standpoint I see a lot of linebreeding with Trump and can't help but wonder when or if there will be a need for some outcross genetics.  That is why I will not keep trump progeny.  I will selectively use the bloodlines on cattle that I plan to sell.  Let's be realistic, it pays the bills.  I also have no cattle that can at all trace back to double stuff.  Talk about a challenge...find a bull with no Trump or DS that can be used on hfrs, has adequte performance, is sound, and still has a "look" to them.  Our hfrs will begin calving Feb 12th.  AI cows on March 8 and everything else from March 18th-May 30th.

tadpole

We have five heifers due throughout feb. and the first week of march.  The cows were synch'ed in two groups and will start the 10th of March and be done about the 5th of April with the clean up calves being done by the 10th of May.  Im really excited for this year's calves.  Calves coming out of hired man, monoply, dr. who, apollo, nighty night, tc stout, gridtopper, and momma's boy. But really excited for our five bred heifers this year.  We will have the following:
Total Solution X Paddy O' Malley/simm
Total Solution X Blended Whiskey/angus
Nighty Night X Taz/chill factor
Nighty Night X Meyer 1468/jackpot(low % maine)
Northern Improvement X Kadabra/simm

ShowmanQ

Malinda said:
ShowmanQ,

You wanted to know if Conductor 'clicks' if you could get Phenom semen. Yes, Phenom semen is available. But, my only comment would be if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If Conductor works, keep using him.

Not trying to lose a semen sale, just keep doing things that work. That is why I have those three generation cow families around here.

Let me know what you get. Unless Jupiter is not aligned with Mars or SD is on the prowl in Ohio, that calf should be little, lively, on the teat in less than an hour and grow like a weed. Think 74 # roan heifer!

Malinda
(clapping)

klintdog

We'll start calving heifers on Feb 1st. Total we'll calve about 60 head between Feb 1 and April 15th. Only problem is we're gone for Black Hills Stock Show from the 5th to the 7th. Fingers crossed for no problems!