County bred, born, & raised rules

Help Support Steer Planet:

johnmetzger

Our county fair started a BBR class a few years ago. The question has been brought up time and time again on the rules other fairs abide to. Any imput would help.

Bryan

in our class like this the major rules are that it must be bred born and raised in our county and that if it  wins grand or reserve champion in the 4-h market show it cannot compete in this class and it has to be one of the 4-h market steers

farmboy

I can go buy a steer in Iowa that was born in Ohio... you can't enforce it. Someone is taking advantage of the BBR class

kfacres

isn't the rules pretty straight forward?  born in the county you are showing in?  Doesn't mean bred, born, and owned by the exhibitor, means born in the county...

But then again, I think it's hard to enforce.  On the opposite, it's hard to prove, but logically the quality of the steer, is only as good as his parental genetics... most are pretty common, especially in county fair deals.

johnmetzger

Some of the questioned rules are if you purchase a embryo and install it in your county cow ,should that be allowed and if you flush one of your county cows and have the eggs shipped across the state installed and go back to pickup the weaned calf 14 months later. This is a rule that is allowed but questioned.

Dozer45

Our county is very much like what  Bryan said. However the animal does not have to be born in the county but the producer must be a county resident. We have many producers that run cattle in multiple countys so they go by residency

kfacres

JDM said:
Some of the questioned rules are if you purchase a embryo and install it in your county cow ,should that be allowed

and if you flush one of your county cows and have the eggs shipped across the state installed and go back to pickup the weaned calf 14 months later.

Was that embryo calf born in this county? problem solved.

Well, here's the deal... if you have someone in your county doing this, chances are they are going to smoke the show regardless of who's competing, atleast in 90% of the counties in America.  Sure they're are some counties that are the exception

If you want to counter act, then does it count to buy semen on an AI bull, which was produced several states away..

Sounds to me like someone, or two families win in your county every year, and the local players don't like that...  Seems to me that they want to bend/ break the rules to allow their kids to have an opportunity to win something...  Sounds to me like maybe they should invest in something better for their kids instead of always trying to "level the playing field", as most county fair people always say.

kfacres

Dozer45 said:
Our county is very much like what  Bryan said. However the animal does not have to be born in the county but the producer must be a county resident. We have many producers that run cattle in multiple countys so they go by residency

in most cases, this is more born and bred by the exhibitor, or their immediate families operation. 

herfluvr

We have this.  The steer must be born  in the county.  Have friend that has good cattle all over but doesn't allow child to compete in this as his stock is really good and he feels it defeats the purpose of the BBR class.  It should be the goal of the member to learn how to  raise a calf.

I would love to see a BBR Heifer in our county that would be born from a cow they had showed previously.  This is what learning to be a producer is all about.  Would be fun to see the produce of the herd the member is raising. 

twistedhshowstock

I have clients that show in a county that has a county bred program.  When they fill out the application for county bred, the person the calf came from has to be a member of the County's Cattlemen's Association, they also have to specify what cow and bull the calf is out of.

Here is my perspective on how it should work. Bred by a resident of the county, born on the property of a resident of the county, and raised by a resident of the county.  I guess what I am saying is that the calf, at no time since conception, should have been owned by anyone that isnt a county resident.  I think AI and ET calves are ok, but I think the county resident needs to own the donor if you are doing it that way. 

To me the reason of the county bred thing has a lot to do with encouraging exhibitors to support the industry in their county by buying show calves from producers in the county. I think in turn it should encourage the producers in the county to produce a higher quality calf that exhibitors would want to buy and show.  I personally dont see the county bred as a means to promote the commercial cattlemen in the county or as a means necessarily for exhibitors to have a way to win something with a cheaper calf that not as much thought was put into.  To me its more about getting the exhibitors involved with the industry in their county and encouraging the cattlemen to produce better cattle.

As far as an earlier statement about the exhibitor learning the industry from start to finish and showing a calf that is out of something that they showed. This is what bred and owned programs are for.  In a bred and owned program the exhibitor must have owned the dam of the animal they are exhibiting from the time of breeding until the time of calving/weaning and the calf must have been owned continuously by the exhibitor its entire life.  I know for some of the breed associations at their bred and owned divisions, even if the exhibitor owned the cow at time of breeding, sold the calf, then bought it back they still cant show the calf in bred and owned.  I dont know that all of them are this way, but I know some are.  The calf had to be originally registered in the exhibitors name and be continuously registered in the exhibitors name, if there was ever an owner on the papers other than the exhibitor then it is not elligible for bred and owned.

cow mom

Our county had a "homegrown" class.  It created more problems than it was worth.  It ended up with so many rules that the county board got rid of the class.  We now have a lot simpler criteria for homegrown.
First year - show a heifer and hope she is 2-3 months bred
Second year - show that same heifer and her calf in "cow/calf"
Third year - the calf from the cow/calf pair is a homegrown animal

This promotes what I think should be the whole purpose of the beef project.  Learn to breed and raise quality animals for future projects.

OH Breeder

JDM said:
Some of the questioned rules are if you purchase a embryo and install it in your county cow ,should that be allowed and if you flush one of your county cows and have the eggs shipped across the state installed and go back to pickup the weaned calf 14 months later. This is a rule that is allowed but questioned.

If the embryo is out of your cow from behind the barn the ET part shouldn't matter at all. It could be born in your backyard or across the state that does not affect the genetics are from your cow in your barn in your county. Now 14 months is a little excessive as the calf should be in the care of the kid after weaned and purchased. That is another story. With the above statement there are two different issues. IF the kid is not taking care of the calf and its out of state then you have an issue with the 4-H project.

ba

Around it was  born in a county . witch state , it has a county . I know what and how they pull this stuff.
On registered heifers run the Reg numbers and find out who the breeder is and from where.

Dozer45

sheps & shorthorns said:
Dozer45 said:

in most cases, this is more born and bred by the exhibitor, or their immediate families operation. 

Guess I should have added that our class is not a home grown its Best of Mesa County.

SSIMMENTALS

We have a county bred and raised class. Calf has to be purchased from a producer in the county with intent that the producer is the breeder and the calf was raised on his farm. Bred and owned calves are logically eligible. We have a problem proving or disproving anything, so a fair bit of cheating goes on. To save time, the county bred calves are marked on the show order, in the end the highest placing  county bred calf in each class comes back in for the county champion drive. If grand/reserve are county bred, there is no call back, they automatically win.

RidinHeifer

I know this is a bit bigger scale thing but I think it still applies.

In Illinois at state fair open and Jr shows, We have a land of Lincoln class. To determine eligibility, show secretaries simply check the registration papers and see the location of the breeder and the current owner. Now for market lambs and goats as well as xbred breeding sheep in Jr shows, they go off the scrapie tags since they have your state on them. That I feel is pretty simple to alter if u have a xbred since you can buy a lamb from anywhere cut out scrapie tag and replace...however it is "unlawful to remove" but who can enforce that.  For purebred market animals that are eligible for papers you either send a form to your registry that has sire dam breeder tattoo or other id on it. You and your registry both have to sign this...or you get steer wether whatever papers and present along with that.I don't know exactly how they do xbred stuff in steers and barrows tho.

These classes are judged concurrent with regular show...ie I was 4th in one class but I was 2nd lol because the first 2 were out of state lambs.

Wouod it be possible to tag them during your early in year steer weighin and have breeders sign papers for xbreds with their address? Then a kid with 5 black Angus steers from 5 farms couldn't say well this one will be my steer I show in bbr because he's second best when his bbr one is actually the worst. If they are tagged early on...no tag no show...or a extra tat or something.

For our ai et issue in the lol, they allow those as long as the breeder...owner of female at time of service...is il. Wo I can buy some wmw x heatwave embryos from launters for example and they would be eligible since I was the breeder and I own the resulting calves.

vc

Here are the rules for our area, there are ways to cheat the system in every contest, but there are allot of ways to get caught as well. If a guy with 3 cows dells 10 bred and fed calves, you might have a problem (or very fertile cows)

"Bred and fed"'
Will be judged as a separate class.
Limit of Entries: One animal per species, per exhibitor.
Processing Fee: $10.00 per entry
Animals must have been bred by and born to a San Diego County based breeder. Proof of breeder's current address (no Post Office Boxes) required on bill of sale. Bill of Sale or Brand Inspection is required with entry (copies only). Identification for Sheep and Goats will be Scrapie tag and for Swine it will be ear notching as defined by National Swine Registry. No other form of ID is valid.
To compete in classes at the Fair, all exhibitors must submit a Livestock issued Bred and Fed Workbook (obtained from the livestock office). 4-H and FFA record books are optional and will be used as tie breakers. Books must be USPS
Postmarked or delivered to the Livestock Office by June 3, 2011.

Ms Ray

our rules are bred, born and raised in the county.  you can buy the calf from a local breeder or raise it yourself.  we have both a steer class and a heifer class.

I would like to get rid of the bred part as we took our cow to get bred somewhere else, yet it was born and raised in the county.  I don't see a diffrence in transporting the cow somewhere to get bred or AI.  we did not compete in the class because I read the rules and did not want any problems.