County Fair steer weigh ins

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

Opinion Poll here :

Our county fair weighs in steers in Feb. for an Aug. show.  What is your strategy??  Do you go for winning rate of gain???  Or do you like the "slow and steady wins the race" philosophy?  I am anxious to hear everyone's opinion.

KS Showman

I definitely go for winning rate of gain. I find it the most fun beefing up my steers. My friend tom and i usually compete for the prize. As for my stategy, I just weigh em in and the following week start with a new feed.  :-\

austin

I've tried both stategies and can't decide which is better. I think you have sort of a combination for the best results.

coshowmom

I say slow and steady wins more money.  It pays more at our county to win the show than winning the rate of gain $50.00. Plus its hard to do both.  You either feed to show or feed to feed.

red

We have less kids entering in the rate of gain contest. Most of the ones that are wanting to win are holding their steers so they won't compete anyway. In our county the 1250 pound is the target range.
Also our county fair in the 2nd week of September & the state fair is the 2nd or 3rd weekend in August. A lot of steers that don't make the top ten in the steers need to be held for the county show.
Do see a lot of kids just packing the weight on for more $'s, especially if they don't think they have a chance at champion.
Red

hayman

red said:
We have less kids entering in the rate of gain contest. Most of the ones that are wanting to win are holding their steers so they won't compete anyway. In our county the 1250 pound is the target range.
Also our county fair in the 2nd week of September & the state fair is the 2nd or 3rd weekend in August. A lot of steers that don't make the top ten in the steers need to be held for the county show.
Do see a lot of kids just packing the weight on for more $'s, especially if they don't think they have a chance at champion.
Red

I think it's interesting how that varies from county to county. Our judges seem to like the +1300. 

austin

coshowmom said:
I say slow and steady wins more money.  It pays more at our county to win the show than winning the rate of gain $50.00. Plus its hard to do both.  You either feed to show or feed to feed.

I guess I lean toward the slow and steady then. But I've always liked the bigger calves.  8)