County Steer Show Pictures

Help Support Steer Planet:

mrs sawboss

Here are the pictures of our steers from our county show last week.  Thought I would share them because you guys were so supportive when we took our steers to Ft. Worth and we got buried.  The shorthorn steer won Grand Champion English/EnglishX and the simmental won Reserve Champion Simmental/SimmentalX.  The shorthorn placed 4th over all and the simmental placed 8th over all out of about 70 steers.  Many people told us they believed the shorthorn should have won it all but we knew that the particular judge that we had would never choose a shorthorn for Grand Champion. 

Attachments

• IMG_0158 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0158 (Small).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_0167 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0167 (Small).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 684

red

(clapping) (clapping) Congrats to your family! The steers look great. I'm sure there was a lot of hard work put in!

Red

sawboss

Thanks Red, the boys really worked their tails off on their calves.  I was proud of them for their efforts, the oldest finished 2nd as a 14 yr. old in Sr. Showmanship out of 25.  The youngest finished 3rd out of 15 in Jr. Showmanship as a 11 yr. old, the trips to the major shows really helped them get prepared.  The black baldy weighed in at 1280 lbs. and the shorty weighed 1310 lbs.,  both calves really cranked the weight on the last 2 months.

red

sawboss said:
Thanks Red, the boys really worked their tails off on their calves.  I was proud of them for their efforts, the oldest finished 2nd as a 14 yr. old in Sr. Showmanship out of 25.  The youngest finished 3rd out of 15 in Jr. Showmanship as a 11 yr. old, the trips to the major shows really helped them get prepared.  The black baldy weighed in at 1280 lbs. and the shorty weighed 1310 lbs.,  both calves really cranked the weight on the last 2 months.

Now to me that is always been more important that placing in 1st. I know I was so proud of my daughter when she won SR showmanship at the state Fair in the Maine class. It was one of my proudest moments.

Red

kane1598

impressive calves and congradulatoins.  my shorthorn steer last year could be a clone to that one of yours, he did really well, especailly as a prospect calf and then as fat.  Good job.

sawboss

Simmi Breed Champ - Grand Champion, I believe purchased from Kris Black
Exotic Breed Champ - Reserve Grand Champion, purchased from Jacob Tusa
Both were excellent animals and well presented.
Thanks for all of the positive comments on the animals and kids we were glad they both had an opportunity in the final drive, especially how they handled the pressure.

ZNT

Congrat's

The steers look really good.  Wht the heck though!?!  A haired show this time of year in Texas?  That's unheard of!

sawboss

ZNT, Our county has a hard time making change on going to slick shear, or changing the date of show to an earlier date.  We finally did away with the maximum weight limit in August for the upcoming year.  Last year you could not weigh-in over 700 lbs. on August 23, the Simmi weighed 680 lbs. and put on 600 lbs. and the Shorty weighed 649 lbs. and put on 661 lbs.  As for the hair we were fortunate to have calves with great hair and kept it through proper care and a cool room.

Nutterbutter, The baldy is a FrictionxSimmi cross we purchased from Stephen Custy in Pilot Point, TX. I believe he picked him up in South Dakota.  The Shorty is out of a son of Eskimo JoexDouble Stuff cow that I hand picked out of a pasture in Northern Oklahoma and would like to keep the rest private.  Not being rude, but the prices are very fair and I would like to keep my honey hole away from the buyers if possible.

Thanks for all of the feedback and compliments the boys strive to do better each year.  The oldest has purchased a steer already for next year and the youngest is in the process of looking.  We are very lucky to have the most dedicated Ag. Science teacher in the county, and he makes sure to put good calves in the hands of his students.

sawboss

Nacogdoches, TX. Pineywood region of East Texas.  A normal year for our county show will have 70 to 75 head of steers with the top 55 making the premium sale, the student then retains ownership and resales at market price or what ever they choose.  Stephen F. Austin State University purchased both of the boys steers to use in their livestock judging program.  Sure helped avoid some tears from the 11 yr. old by bypassing the slaughter trailer, even though he understands that is their purpose he put a year into this "pet" and they held a special bond.