Cover of January Black,OOPs I mean Shorthorn Country

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamburgman

I believe  Cates won Louisville a few years ago, supreme female with a shorthorn that was a full sib to solution.  I want to say her name was CF Rose Roan, and i was told she was phenotypically the best thing many people had ever seen.  If you have a problem with her being a trump, then it isn't just a shorthorn issue it is the entire industry you have a problem with since she was supreme champion.  Honestly i think having a Plus win the show isn't a bad deal at all, purebreds have done well, especially the one of Cyclone Trace's that won Iowa Expo, and has done well since.  Having a plus win the show is probably more realistic from a commercial standpoint because if anyone thinks full blooded shorthorns are going to take off commercially in this country, they have more problems than a Plus winning a national show.

garybob

Doc said:
trevorgreycattleco said:
I have thought about this some more. Maybe I am wrong. That heifer is a Trump (Clone deal) on a Heatwave. A good show heifer....yes. Any real benefit to the shorthorn breed? Maybe. Depends on how you look at it. Heatwave has won how many deals? Trump has won how many deals? It doesn't take a Albert Eisenhower to try and cross them. Doesn't suprise me at all that she won. I guess I would be way more excited to hear a shorthorn bull knocked them dead at the Midland test or kicked butt in a forage conversion test. Trump on a Heatwave doesnt do much for me but say "never ending feed bill."  She sure took a purty picture tho.

JMO, I think you're missing the big picture here. I know you think Trumps' are the dregs of society & all that. I've heard that time & time again. The fact remains that a 1/2 Shorthorn was judged the BEST female of ALL the females in the Jr show. Which may in turn convince that one new guy to go out and buy a Shorty bull or female to try the crossbreeding program.
As far what you prefer see happen, then there you go. You have something to shoot for with your breeding program. Once again it's "Different strokes for different folks". 
Yeah.......

sue

I dont care who her daddy is I say hooray. It's a bold statement and a true statement . Black cattle outfits are using Sh bulls period....  Way to go Country!

Shady Lane

I completely agree, take pride in accomplishments like this as a breed, this does nothing but bring good exposure and publicity to the cattle that every Shorthorn breeder is raising.

<beer>

R1Livestock

As the saying goes, any attention is good attention.  When she won, people still had to say "Shorthorn" when they say shorthorn plus, something they would not say with any other breed. 

Shorthorn genetics can have a valuable place in the commercial industry right now, shorthorn colors do not.  Shorthorn pluses show that this bridge can be crossed.

han-du

Ok, just to get everyone on the same page and to let everyone know what this heifer actually IS instead of making a bunch DUMB generalizations... the heifer in question that was Supreme Champion at Louisville this year was SULL Hot Tamale 9036.  She is a Right Direction out of Sullivan's Tamale cow, which is a Heat Wave on a Maine x Angus cow. Right Direction is a clone to CF Solution, which is a Trump x NPS Desert Rose 004.  

Joseph O'Sullivan's heifer that won Supreme Champion at Louisville a few years back was SULL ROSE MARY 636 ET. She is a Trump x NPS Desert Rose 004.  She is the dam of Sullivan's high seller this year at 97,000. i would say that calling her some greased up show heifer that's not going to amount to anything is a stretch... DON'T YOU THINK???

Oh, and CF Roan Rose is a Trump x NPS Desert Rose 004.  See the pattern here???

Now that everyone knows what the cattle ARE, now we can get into some real meat and potatoes issues here.  First off, our breed has had more supreme champions at Louisville than any other breed to date... PERIOD! If you are any kind of Shorthorn breeder, you would be telling every Tom, Dick, and Harry about that and how big of an accomplishment that is! Second, our breed is trying to promote a way to expand the use of our genetics, and what better way to do that then to have that heifer on the cover.  Everyone wants to dog this Shorthorn Plus program, but it's one of the only ways that the breed is going to PROVE that we have genetics that producers want.   Lastly, if everyone keeps dogging the genetics that are currently winning, I am going to explode!  If you don't like it and you think that the "commercial" cattle are better, then PROVE IT!!!  I'm tired of all of the people on this deal that hide behind their computers talking trash about good cattle instead of getting a brush, going out to the barn, and prove to everyone that all of your real world cattle can compete.  I'm not against seeing it happen, I just want you all to put your money where your mouth is!  One last thing before I go, as long as people are making money, they can breed whatever in the hell kind of cattle they want to!

Tyler Hahn
and yes  I got enough hair on my peaches to put my name on this and every other post I put on here!    

M Bar

You should change your posting name to "peach fuzz".  Sorry Han Du, I had to give you a hard time. 

hamburgman

Thanks much tyler for your input. Glad to have input from someone who knows all this stuff and whose family was paramount to those genetics also.

mark tenenbaum

To the Truth-I agree 100%RE-The Magazine and the general trend.The $20-35000 hiefers look great,however--after 20 years of buying worthless semen etc to try and do my part for the juniors-the fat ass pompous sale managers couldnt be bothered to help me at ALL.Or anyone else who has spent tens of thousands. They are money grubbing puppets-who have turned the breed (other than a few breeders and a number of unavailable bulls who basically will be UNPROVEN ) into a broken record-with no commercial acceptance,and certainly no recognition on an everyday basis.Thats one reason I went from 30 to 5 Shorthorns.If you arent way into the show deal-or 10 years +_ into the CE deal (i was by the way) Aint no market for the everyday breeder.Nor-can you recoup huge investments if you are not on the cutting edge of the clique-or geographically in the right place. O0

mark tenenbaum

Having responded to the magazine-and obvious political end-JMO-ANY crossbred Shorthorn that people can see is important-I dont think Trump and the KABA deal are the dregs anymore than Double Stuff etal ARE-how quickly we forget what brought the breed alive-it dam sure wasnt Ayatolla or Evergreen Seville.Outside the showring-the bad press about Shorthorn BWS-etc is still pretty much WARRENTED-NO NOT YOU SUE ET AL.And if they are calving ease-you are lucky to get a 975 yearling wt on a shorthorn bull -(just repeating what a commercial guy said to me)- So in order for this breed to be used at all -OUTSIDE THE RING-those guys arent going to trust a purebred shorthorn-and I dont blame them. Im not saying we need black Shorthorns and Charolais (same issues still white) . But those crooked legged ugly Angus-get it done commercially-in the tens of thousands-and Shorthorns DONT-in the hundreds. Which is a shame-because every commercial guy-will admit-that the maternal end cant be beat-or at least-is real good.Hats off to the Maine breed-who overcame HUGE obsticles and are becoming a very important element in cattle in general-some thanks to the Angus who made them black (heatseekers-Lifelines fight back with lots of red) and of course the Shorthorns-who basically are behind all Maines Angus,and a bunch of other cattle. O0

kfacres

The trend I see... is that they all trace back to a cow that you own!  The other trend I see.. is that everything is a Trump.. Trump this, Trump that.. and breed it all back to Trump again...  

You people speak out of both sides of you mouth..  You say how great Trump is.. but then you say what all Shorthorns have for the commercial man..  Yes, I agree Trump has formed the Shorthorn breed, as has your cow.. since SULL bought her son, and so did a zillion other people!   Let me ask you this.. how did your cow's EPD's get affected when her son's got thrown out?  

What has Trump ever done for a commercial herd?  nota!  Again, yes Trump has affected the whole breed-- good towards the showring.. bad towards real world cattle.  

Putting my $ where my mouth is.. does it take me to publish $97,000 selling heifer calves.. putting the $ where my mouth is.. That's saying (mouth) and 97000 (money)!  I'd say it be about the same as the real deal.  

Man, I can tell you are all about the showring..  Have you ever thought that maybe the "real" people, don't give a shit about the showring and the fluff/ puff?  
mooch said:
the truth said:
advocate said:
I believe in louisville a couple years ago joseph osullivan did win champion over all breeds in the junior show with a purebred shorty

well hot damn.. what did she do for the breed thus far?  Bet when the show fat melted off. she was just another hard calving, hard doing TRUMP!

Dude you got several screws loose somewhere! He answered a comment you asked in a civil matter and you go off on another tangent.You go off bashing shorthorns and club calves and then want to know what club calf bull to breed you show line shorthorn cow to so you can cash in . You sound dangerous.

Ya I ask questions.. and most of them are in response to someone else (*friends) that are wanting my thoughts... yes I own that Shorthorn cow.. but dont' really give a shit what she gets bred to.. t hus her getting bred to herd bull in the last 2 years.  

Hell, I'll even put my name on here too..

Jody Kabat
Lake Land alum.. and same age as your sister.. spent pleny of time around her!

and my email
[email protected]

KEEP THE NEGITIVE KARMA COMING, I LOVE IT..

Eberth

I kinda agree peach fuzz is a good name for ya hahn, since the last time I saw ya you had some growing on your face! Sorry couldnt resist

trevorgreycattleco

han-du said:
Ok, just to get everyone on the same page and to let everyone know what this heifer actually IS instead of making a bunch DUMB generalizations... the heifer in question that was Supreme Champion at Louisville this year was SULL Hot Tamale 9036.  She is a Right Direction out of Sullivan's Tamale cow, which is a Heat Wave on a Maine x Angus cow. Right Direction is a clone to CF Solution, which is a Trump x NPS Desert Rose 004.  

Joseph O'Sullivan's heifer that won Supreme Champion at Louisville a few years back was SULL ROSE MARY 636 ET. She is a Trump x NPS Desert Rose 004.  She is the dam of Sullivan's high seller this year at 97,000. i would say that calling her some greased up show heifer that's not going to amount to anything is a stretch... DON'T YOU THINK???

Oh, and CF Roan Rose is a Trump x NPS Desert Rose 004.  See the pattern here???

Now that everyone knows what the cattle ARE, now we can get into some real meat and potatoes issues here.  First off, our breed has had more supreme champions at Louisville than any other breed to date... PERIOD! If you are any kind of Shorthorn breeder, you would be telling every Tom, Dick, and Harry about that and how big of an accomplishment that is! Second, our breed is trying to promote a way to expand the use of our genetics, and what better way to do that then to have that heifer on the cover.  Everyone wants to dog this Shorthorn Plus program, but it's one of the only ways that the breed is going to PROVE that we have genetics that producers want.   Lastly, if everyone keeps dogging the genetics that are currently winning, I am going to explode!  If you don't like it and you think that the "commercial" cattle are better, then PROVE IT!!!  I'm tired of all of the people on this deal that hide behind their computers talking trash about good cattle instead of getting a brush, going out to the barn, and prove to everyone that all of your real world cattle can compete.  I'm not against seeing it happen, I just want you all to put your money where your mouth is!  One last thing before I go, as long as people are making money, they can breed whatever in the hell kind of cattle they want to!

Tyler Hahn
and yes  I got enough hair on my peaches to put my name on this and every other post I put on here!    

Proving my cows in the show ring? Really? Why? Not my cup of tea. Keeping up with the farm payments, keeping a roof over my families heads are a little more important to me right now. I will just mind my own little business and prove my herd over time IN A PASTURE. IMO there is a HUGE difference between proving cattle in the show ring vs proving them in the pasture. Showing cattle eats at my bottom line and I just dont care about  some fella who thinks yours are better than mine. You have had lots of success with the 004 cow. Good for you man. Good for you. You were fortunate enough to breed a good one for the show ring. But lets be honest.  I just dont see how a shorthorn, heatwave, maine, angus is really that big a deal for the breed. Sorry. A four way cross won the show. Are the Maine, Angus or the Heatwave associations as proud as the shorthorn folks are? JMO.  I dont hide behind a screen sir. How many more ways can I put up my contact info? I got a big bushy beard if that helps lol. How has that heifer for Joeseph O'sullivan worked out. Has she made any champions? I honestly have no clue. 97,000 dollars for a heifer continues to prove to me fools and their money soon part. Thats is nothing more than egos gettin in the way of reality. I bet it was exciting to watch that sale. The ring men were screaming and hollarin. Drinks were flowin. Its like saying you are a member of a fancy country club when you spend that kind of scratch. Personally i want to slap them across the head and ask them what the hell where you thinkin? Good luck turnin a profit. if you judge cattle buy their monetary value and show ring results, then you and me are on two different planets. I hope someday i will be lucky enough to breed some cattle that will honestly improve the industry. Thats all i can do.

oakbar

While attending the Shorthorn auction Sunday evening, I overheard two gentlemen behind me talking about why they were there.  They both said they had predominantly Angus commercial herds and were looking for Shorthorn bulls to cross on them.  I did not spy on them to see if they bought bulls, but I thought the comments they made were interesting. JMHO

Okotoks

Better yet you could hardly get in the alley let alone the pens during the Durham For Denver Bid Off! As well the volume buyer for the Summit Sale was a new breeder from Montana that also runs a commercial Angus herd. He also bought some bulls out of the yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.