Covering Aluminum Chute Side rails

Help Support Steer Planet:

cpubarn

Has anyone tried covering aluminum grooming chute rails with spray on bed liner? 

I saw one done, but didn't get to ask the owner how it worked.

Mark

The Show

I believe it was Sullivan's that was selling them with powder-coated side rails at Ft. Worth this year. Seems like it would work fine. I've always used vet wrap, and it seems to hold up pretty good.

cpubarn

I will admit the vet wrap is what I was trying to avoid.

I can see that putting my hybrid chute up for sale then getting a new powder coated one would also be an option.  But with kids in and entering college, I was hoping for a cheaper option....

Thanks

Mark

The Show

Why not use vet wrap? It's only about a dollar a roll. It usually takes a roll per bar, and it'll last all show season.

crown33

I just got done re-doing the bottom frame on our hybrid chute with the bed liner spray that we bought in a can. It worked awesome and I'm going to plan on doing the side rails sometime with it also. I think that it should work fine to do.

flacowman

The bed liner won't be rough enough to pull hair out if they rub against it?  I have not idea but the though occurred to me so I thought I'd ask

cpubarn

I tried it.  A light spray flakes right off.  Looks like powder coat......

Cheap way usually never works.

crown33 said:
I just got done re-doing the bottom frame on our hybrid chute with the bed liner spray that we bought in a can. It worked awesome and I'm going to plan on doing the side rails sometime with it also. I think that it should work fine to do.

kfacres

bruiser said:
A friend of mine just painted his aluminum side rails. Looks to me like a great way and cheap too.

now call me dumb... but why would you worry about painting, or putting something on aluminum side rails- doesn't that defeat the purpose of buying aluminum?  It's not like they are going to rust, or rub off on the calf?  I would think paint would rub off faster? 

ROAD WARRIOR

Mark - we have sprayed the side bars with several coats of clear laquer to keep the marks off of calves.
RW

kfacres

Shebet21 said:
Light colored cattle will get marks on them from rubbing on the aluminum. That's why Sullivan's started powder coating them.

thanks, guess that goes to show I've never had a aluminum chute. 

Does this go for the head gate as well?

so why then are you buying aluminum chutes, if you're painting them anyways?  Light weight, or like paying the extra cost? 

kfacres

Shebet21 said:
For me, it's the weight. My 16 year old daughter can unload it, wheel it to where it needs to go and set it up, no way she can do that with a steel one.

At 16, I'd put her to lifting weights (or hay bales or clipping chute) and get that girl STRONGER!  ;) ;) ;) (lol)

On a similar note, I knew a trio of sisters that lived on a Holstein dairy farm, for their basketball workout, they took to halter breaking 500 lb Hol heifers on slick cow shitted on concrete.  You know that each of the 3 girls were a member of either 4 or 5 state championship (between the 3)basketball teams for the state of IL, class single A.  And all three of them played college D-1 basketball.  Lets put it this way, the youngest girl was about a year or two older than I was, simplily, those were not the girls to mess with-- they were some of the prettiest, toughest, super model built, young ladies in the world.

hntwhitetail

Shebet21 said:
She's plenty strong,  she's a gymanst and works out year round and does more than her share of work on the farm. I'm not a big fan of lugging steel chutes around either.

x2...

kfacres

hntwhitetail said:
Shebet21 said:
She's plenty strong,  she's a gymanst and works out year round and does more than her share of work on the farm. I'm not a big fan of lugging steel chutes around either.

x2...

never said she wasn't...

just wondering if they extra cost associated with alum, is worth it if you'r going to paint it? 

next Q, doesn't the paint rub off?

Pipeliner

An aluminum chute is totally worth it even if you have to paint it. Lighter weight  (work smarter not harder.) and it won't rust. Even with paint on steel it'll still rust and with rust on a chute it gets an animal dirtier then aluminum not painted, wrapped or powder coated. We've had one for at least 15 yrs now and it's been awesome. I did modify it a couple years back to make it easier to do fronts. I just have a head gate and a post on each side of the chute. No top bar or back bar. It's my favorite chute I've ever worked on Nothings in your way.

kanshow

Vetwrap works ok til it gets old and then it starts rolling and gets gummy..    I saw a chute with plastic PVC pipe on the rails and front..