Cow Calf Pair help

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

My daughter has a cow calf pair she's showing.  First time we've done this.  How long do you all reccomend you pull the calf off the cow before a show?  I know I want the udder to have milk in it, but what is a good ball park time?  We went out this weekend, and the show was alot longer than we figured, and little baby was pretty hungry and mama was wanting him to nurse.  The kids had a work out.  Figured this was the best place to ask.  Thanks ahead of time!

Jill

I don't know for sure what the recommended time is, I know the last time we showed one we pulled her off 1st thing in the morning for an 8 o'clock show and by the time they got to the pair neither one was in any mood to be shown.  I know the show doesn't start until late, like 2 in the afternoon, so I would say watch how many times a day the calf eats and gage from there.

justme

Right now, we have them both tied under fans all day.  So he's use to going all day without nursing.  But they are ready to nurse when we put them together.  This weekend, we let them nurse at 4:30a.m. and thought we'd show by noon.  Nope, we showed at 3:00, they didn't post classes until about 11:30 so we had no idea that it would be so late.  I'd just hate to hurt any chances by letting the calf nurse to close to show or not letting them nurse and having a circus on our hands lol.

See...the count down has begun to Jr. nationals and I'm stressing already.

fluffer

I would take a look at your cows udder when you turn them out in the evening.  See how it looks, if it looks pretty good then I would try and keep the calf off her that long before the show if possible.  Perhaps when you check on the cow during the day get her up and see how her udder looks after4 hours or whatever and that will give you a guage.  We used to just pull the calf the morning of the show.

Good Luck
Fluffer

frm_girl

i showed a cow calf pair last october.  I let the calf nurse before they were put up for the night and early the next morning.  If you do not do it early the results will not be as good.  allow at least 6-7 hours before show prep.

Latest posts