cow calf pair

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

Everyone always says that it cost $27.00 to test, but what does it average/ test with everything included? Don't the vets have to police this test system? What will they normally charge for their part of the process? Doesn't the blood have to reach the lab within 48 hours< so that would require an overnight shipping charge.What are the real costs? Just curious. Cab

chambero

Whether right or wrong, most club-calf oriented female sales aren't testing females.  Bulls are a different story. 

$27 adds up when dealing with a bunch of them.  We haven't tested ours.  We should be clean by pedigree (if what we were told we were buying over the years was correct), but who knows.  Our policy is to use clean bulls from here on out and advise customers to do the same.

So, if you showed up to look through our pastures we couldn't tell you with 100% certainty whether ours are clean or not.  If someone wanted to buy one or some, you'd get the same answer you got in this case. 

knabe

it cost something to ship the sample, which you pay for, just like ordering semen.  i usually have it done when something else is being done, to save on ranch call visit, so i will do it if my neighbor is vaccinating their horses etc.  the 27 dollar fee goes to the lab. so you pay your vet to draw blood and ship it, including postage.  i haven't done it via a hair sample.  i did blood so i would guarantee there would be plenty of dna for both tests and genotyping later and woudln't have to resubmit a sample.  perhaps, when a new test is found for monkey mouth etc, you won't have to redraw a sample.  shipping is cheap.  not sure what you are getting at with vets policing the system.  i would have the blood drawn on a monday or tuesday, just in case there was a snag in the process that the sample wouldn't sit over the weekend.

knabe

i noticed on the maine anjou website that  JJN Miss 25 N    tested clean for PHA.  did you purchase her maine 12?

CAB

Knabe, by policing, I ment that a producer can't simply draw the blood themselves, so you are going to incur some extra costs over the 27 dollars. I just want people to know that it's going to end up costing more than 27 dollars by the time everyone does their thing. I was told yesterday that the test includes a pedigree ck if possible, but I don't know if that could even be true, some commercial producers, myself included wouldn't know for sure what the true sire would always be, but you would like to know TH & PHA status. Does anyone know if there is some pedigree testing offered with the test? Cab

pigguy

No i dint because he wouldnt test them and i was gona drive 6-7 hours to get one cow

knabe

CAB, that's a great question on the pedigree check.  It seems there was a mixup in what samples had release forms signed, a sample to be forwarded to UC davis for genotyping which is required if you want to ET the cow.  my samples have been hung up in limbo for about 8-10 months.  i'm not complaining, it's just that there appears to be about 200-300 samples in this group and i haven't been able to get verification that i have done everything correctly, or if the samples have been forwarded and what the results are and if they are on file.  i guess i'll follow up on this.  i'm pretty sure that the cost for pedigree check is payable to the association via your credit card on file, if that's what you have set up.  so that would be extra.  i checked real quick on the amaa site for this, but couldnt' find it easily.  it's probalby buried on a form you fill out for PHA or TH.

Latest posts