cow died...now what

Help Support Steer Planet:

orwell

so one of my cows died. She was not my favorite or one of the best but she was still mine. She has a 4 month old calf on her what should i do with it.

SKF

Sorry about your cow. The calf is old enough to wean so the calf should be fine.

Cowboy

Sorry for the dead cow there guy -- but your calf was close to weaning any way -- and now it is I guess - sadly.

Get him re-vaccinated to help with immunity at his young age, start him on a good calf starter with good free choice grass hay. He will be just fine.

Again, sorry you lost the cow -- what happened?

Terry

orwell

well i am not really sure io got home from work and wanted to go up and check my heifer that we just breed and i noticed legs sticking up in the buket of the tractor...worst feeling ever. So i call my dad up and they think it was a heart attack and dont plan on spending 200 bucks to see what really happend but i may pay for it just to make sure it wasnt something preventable and that it wont happen again

shortyjock89

So sorry to hear that, it's never easy to lose one of the gals.  Like everyone has said, the calf should be just fine, we wean ours that young all the time. 

I don't think doing a necropsy is a bad idea at all, but sometimes they just die because it was their time.

frm_girl

sorry about loosing you cow.  how old was she.  because liek they said earlier sometimes it is just natural causes.

ShowmanQ

orwell said:
well i am not really sure io got home from work and wanted to go up and check my heifer that we just breed and i noticed legs sticking up in the buket of the tractor...worst feeling ever. So i call my dad up and they think it was a heart attack and dont plan on spending 200 bucks to see what really happend but i may pay for it just to make sure it wasnt something preventable and that it wont happen again

The $200 will be money worth spending. If it was something non infectious that killed her you may be able to prevent it next time. If it was something infectious, you will be able to formulate a game plan on what to do to ensure the health of the rest of the herd.

Jill

Save your 200, we haven't had anything posted yet that they were able to tell us anything other than natural causes, nothing could have been done different or they just don't know, spend your money wisely and buy another cow or put it toward milk replacer, I know loosing one is tough, but it happens, sorry for you loss.

DL

I rarely have difficulty determining why a cow died when I necropsy her - and I think sometimes knowing why (and that you could or could not have done things differently) helps with the bovine guilt we often feel when cattle die.

sorry about your cow orwell

jbw

Those who have must lose, those who don't can't.

orwell

We deided that it wasn't worth the 200. Thank you for all your help. The calf is doign good. We have moved him over into the calf barn where he is getting lots of feed. Do you think that he will stioll grow as good?

Jill

We wean all of our calves at 4 months so you should be just fine, good luck with your calf.