Cow dog needed -- criteria follows.

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cowboy

My 7 month old Border Colliw female, just coming into her own with the donor cows was kicked tonight and broke her hip -- vet put her down on the spot as soon as they saw it.

I need a dog -- and a damn good one. No more timid , let's play games dogs.

Here is a list of requiremets I am holding out for this time.

1) NO BARK -- PERIOD -- I hate noisy dogs.

2) VERY cowy, STRONG eyed

3) Easily trainable for down and stay commands, as well as the others that follow as they progress.

4) Will be an "EASY" on command and "Put em on" on command dog, must have strong bite when needed, and be easy and creepy when needed.

Don't want tri-colered pup, preffer black/white border type OR a  border/blue heeler cross. Again, NO FEMALES -- want a male pup who will be loyal, easy and tuff when needed. Medium haired, not smooth.

I paid a pretty good chunk for the pup I just lost, and am frustrated. The breeder warranted this dog to be strong and loyal -- she was very smart -- but would NOT bite, just play with the head -- would not herd from behind. She got kicked because she was more interested in looking at me instead of the cow -- and was of course in front instead of behind, the cow wheeled and nailed her.

Please no one think I am a rooky with my dogs, I have trained over 20 good dogs, but the last 10 years I have yet to find a trully good one, just promises. They say you really never have more than two good dogs and one good horse in your lifetime, it is beginning to look pretty true!

Straight STRONG minded Border or a mix of Border/Blue heeler preffered -- thanks for your help!

Terry

TMJ Show Cattle

Cowboy, see if you can contact the Hardy Ranch in Douglas Wyoming.Ask them if they have any pups out of Ju-day and Sage. Ju-day was a smooth hair border and Sage a medium hair young bitch that would be 6 years old by now. Ju-Day, if still alive would be 11 years or somewhere in that realm. Ju-day came from some blood in Texas and Sage was Wyoming bred. Ju-day was the finest cow dog[and sheep] that I ever watched work,bar none.He was great in the pasture and even better at roundup in close quarters in the lots and pens. Sage was a beautiful medium hair 18 month old bitch[pup] when I left the Ranch in 05. She, too was absolutely awesome,especially for a pup. These dogs were very smart and command geniuses. One hell of a bite when needed was a very good plus. Ju-day didn't have to be told what to do very often,that sucker seemed to know what you were up to before you did. I can't find the phone number off hand,but call Douglas, Wyoming and ask for the number of Gene or Eugene Hardy. Tell them John Anderson sent you callin. Maybe they can help....J.A.

Cowboy

Thanks John, I figured you might know as much as you have been around. Losing this female is hard, I had plans for her if she would have just been stronger mouthed.

When the family is not around and I have to sort cows, a good dog is worth more than 5 humans -- they don't ask how much do "I" get paid -- they just love thier job all for a pat on the head! To watch 1 guy with a horse aqnd 2 dogs bring in 300 hundred cows from a section of grass will absolutely tell you all what I mean.

I don't have the luxury of spending hundreds of dollars, and have to go hundreds of miles to get one. I just need a little help out there -- and those papers really don't BITE A COW -- hehehe.

I am going to be really patient -- but it is sure frustrating when this happens!

Thaks John, tell Carrie and the girls hello!

Terry

Downtown Pete

My dad has had a few dogs from Zach Tobias in Sargent, Ne. Been really good dogs.  Best dog he ever had (from Tobias)got  killed by his coyote hounds.  Was in the same boat as you.  Has a good one now that came from Tobias.  Been kicked in the head by horses a few too many times (chipped teeth, busted eye socket at on time) but he's real aggresive and  works an alley and shoot better than any dog I've ever seen. I know he will put some training on one before he sells them sometimes too.  Anyway, might be worth looking into.  Good luck...

kanshow

You might be better off with an older already trained dog.  Seven months is pretty young to even think about starting a BC.  You might check with the Stockdog association in your state.    We've had a few really good BC's over the years and they make life so much easier.  However, we've also had a couple that were so driven to work that living with them was a test in sanity. 

Cowboy

Thanks for the come back folks -- here is where we are at now !

When I posted the comment -- I had just stepped in and was reelling from the thought of losing my young dog. I left the office as fast I could after they said they were putting her down. A few hours later --Cort called and said he couldn't do it -- and told me he was going to do major surgery on her for me, at half cost mind you. I almost said no, but remembered how much she loved to go to the cows -- so I agreed. I will have a couped up dog in a crate for several weeks and may never have her to where she can work again, but I will have my friend for a long time.

Botton line is I still need a dog, one that is NOT started though, as they tend to be pretty much set in thier ways from day one when you start them -- young or older.

Kanshow -- I can agree with you to some degree on letting a very young dog work too much, BUT, in close to 25 years of having these good Borders, I learned a long time ago you MUST get a handle on them very very early -- if they get to 6-7 months of age and start going out doing whatever on thier own, it is pretty much over. They WILL find a job, with or without you. So I start them early -- get the commands down real good and enforce them strongly -- once they know YOU are the boss -- then it is easy to gradually get them used to doing things that already comes naturaly. I have never been able to work with an older unstarted dog, or one that was already started by some one else before I got them. Stubborn is a whole new ball game with a Border, they are eaither GREAT or not worth a hoot other than a house pet!

I will be OK -- I miss having to make sure she is where I tell her to be -- but meybe I will be better for it. As of now, they have her fixed up so I was wrong in posting they put her down, I just didn't wait long enough as I was upset. Sorry folks, now I need to find me another dog -- and hopefully have a pair afterwards!

I will keep every one posted -- LOOKING

Terry

beefy

i have some kelpies that fit the bill your looking for. i have 3 started dogs,2 males, 1 female. and a litter of pups. roy cox bloodlines. tuff tuff working dogs. pm if interested sorry about your dog  <cowboy>

ploughshare

Terry:

You might want to contact:

Max Caldwell
1750 55th Ave,
St. Charles, IA 50240
641-297-2113
[email protected]

He breeds his border collies specifically to herd cattle, not sheep.  Not sure what he has right now but it might be worth a call.  He has some pretty good dogs. Most are registered with AKC and not eligible for the BCS.  My dog is from him.

cjcattleco1

Have you thought about looking into a hanging tree cowdog. They are a mixture of border collie, kelpie, australian shepard, and catahoula. They are a medium sized dog, will head and heel, very loyal. We have three we use and i would recommend them to anyone.

EastCoastCowdog

Hi, I don't think that you'll easily find a Hangin' Tree that will fit your criteria. Most of them will bark a little (some a lot) and very few are creepy crawly or have the eye of a Border Collie. Also, since you have a lot of requirements on what the dog should do, you're probably better off buying a started dog so you know exactly what you're getting rather than take a chance on a pup who may or may not be anything like you want.

Cowboy

Hello every one -- here is an update on what's going on here.

A few days ago I went to pick my BC from the vets -- after pretty major surgery -- they said she could come home but must be kept contained in a small crate. We did this -- she was not in very good spirits, but was putting some weight on her new leg. After 48 hours, she was in such pain that she could notlay down, and would try to sleep standing up. Heart wrenching to watch.

Took her back in yesterday -- and they are going to try and re-adjust the pins today. She has lost at least 10 pounds -- and is not doing too well, butI am not going to give up just yet.

Last week -- our very own FROSTY, called and offered us a great gift -- she had a female BC frm Pete Carmicheal in SD that she had never really started much, coming on 3 years old. Her husband Micheal was coming up hunting not too far from here, so we met him and took the dog - her name is Sliver.

She is smaller, and really tuff!! After just a few days of going out with her, she has taken to the place and hopefully tome as well, and is going to come around pretty fast I think. She has a very good BITE, and will go get behind the cows instead of only wanting to go head them off. I think that with some time, she is going to be what we were looking for, will take some time to get the handle I need on her, but she is smart and tuff -- so I am excited.

THANKS so much for every one's effort to help out -- I looked aorund some and just didn't know where to head first. I am going to give thie little dog a good place to live, and give her every chance to be a BC cow dog. The real test will be next spring when we get busy again, but as of now -- she loves going to the cows, and will stare them down as good as any I have had.

Thanks to Frosty and Mike for the generous offer -- we will give her a fabulous home and she will be loved, and allowed to work as much as we can.

Merry Christmas to all -- and especially Frosty and MIke -- THANK YOU>    (dog)

Terry